rear left tail light not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moosehead

Reaction score
Hi guys new here, i have a 2004 liberty 3.7l
i have aftermarket hitch intalled and wiring harness all have worked great for 2+ years now. Recently the left tail light went out i got a new one and it still would not light up i tried the same bulb on the right side and it works fine?
Brake lights work fine just no tail light on rear left, oh also no front marker light but again bulb works when installed on right side. When i hook trailer up i have no lights but brake lights work fine on trailer. Any idea what has gone wrong?

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had on my 02, the tail light didn't work but the brake light worked

what I did was swap the entire bulb socket to the reverse lights, and now both work

for mine it was the fact that the sockets have the low voltage for tail lights and higher voltage for the brakelights, there was a problem with the low voltage and since the revese light only comes on bright, I didn't need to replace the bulb socket

you might want to just try swaping the bulb socket around

but since you have a problem with a front light, it might not be your problem

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
x2 on ground wires.
Also try using some small folded emory cloth in the socket where bulb hits contacts.
Use contact cleaner spray afterwards.
The problem with Ryan's owners manual is that it incorrectly identified the wrong fuse number for the front 12V accessory socket.
That was corrected when I looked it up in the factory service manual and found the discrepancy, and tested to identify correct fuse location.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Check your fuses for starters and don't believe the owners manual!
Ask me why!

Also, check for corrosion within the actual bulb receptacle or for a loose
wire.

My dad's dodge had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad ground.

x2 on ground wires.
Also try using some small folded emory cloth in the socket where bulb hits contacts.
Use contact cleaner spray afterwards.
The problem with Ryan's owners manual is that it incorrectly identified the wrong fuse number for the front 12V accessory socket.
That was corrected when I looked it up in the factory service manual and found the discrepancy, and tested to identify correct fuse location.

Yep

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had on my 02, the tail light didn't work but the brake light worked

what I did was swap the entire bulb socket to the reverse lights, and now both work

for mine it was the fact that the sockets have the low voltage for tail lights and higher voltage for the brakelights, there was a problem with the low voltage and since the revese light only comes on bright, I didn't need to replace the bulb socket

you might want to just try swaping the bulb socket around

but since you have a problem with a front light, it might not be your problem

I presume you mean low "wattage" and high "wattage":freak3:
There is only one voltage available and that is approximately 12 volts.
You probably fixed up a bad contact by moving the sockets over so it then worked.

moosehead

Reaction score
No corrosion found all wires are good and tight now about the fuses??? acording to the manual the left tail light is fuse #23 which is empty on my fuse panel and is a spare by the looks of it cause there is no metal contact there just plastic anyway put a 10 amp fuse there and still did not solve my problem. There are also other fuses that are different from what it says they should be according to the manual. for example it says for #1 should be 20amp and i have a 15 amp there #2 says should be 15 amp and i have a 20 amp there, everything else works fine and fuses have been this way since i have owned the jeep in 2007 tail light and front marker light problem started 2-3 months ago VERY CONFUSING!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No corrosion found all wires are good and tight now about the fuses??? acording to the manual the left tail light is fuse #23 which is empty on my fuse panel and is a spare by the looks of it cause there is no metal contact there just plastic anyway put a 10 amp fuse there and still did not solve my problem. There are also other fuses that are different from what it says they should be according to the manual. for example it says for #1 should be 20amp and i have a 15 amp there #2 says should be 15 amp and i have a 20 amp there, everything else works fine and fuses have been this way since i have owned the jeep in 2007 tail light and front marker light problem started 2-3 months ago VERY CONFUSING!

You need to put a voltmeter on the socket to test if you are getting 12 volts.
First test across the positive terminal and the ground terminal right at the socket and then move the meter ground lead to the chassis somewhere. You may find that with the one lead on the chassis and the other on the positive connection that only now you get a good reading. This would mean that the ground point has gone bad which is not unusual on the KJ....if this is the case simply add an extra ground directly into the bodywork inside the tail light cluster cavity.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a Canadian (export model?) This will effect fuse locations.
Here is the Export wiring diagram (it comes off 4 way flashers) try giving the four way a click on and off and test ground as well. Also turn signal stock, try turn on and use the dimmer up and down and see if there is a bad ground in the multi-function switch (turn signal switch)
40652[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The 04 manual is not the brightest as mentioned before.

Here is the connector ground splice (connector) locations in harness...oh oh..
40654[/ATTACH]"]

Remove fuse #9 and see if it kills brake/tail light-- 23 is suppose to be spare but look at FSM export here..

Took me 45 min to get ya this..yup lots o pages and confusing is right.

Attachments

• KJLeftTurn.jpg
    KJLeftTurn.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 24
  • KjGroundSplice.jpg
    KjGroundSplice.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 26

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose, you need to replace the trailer module converter, its what is causing your lights at the front and rear to not work, you probably have a light on in the dash for the turn signal, the fuse which if i remember right is number 10 located in the dash beside the driver is blown, if you remove the harness and reconnect direct after changing that fuse you will find your lights will all work again, getting a new wiring harness and box will fix the problem totally. mine did the exact same thing you describe.

Nictorious

Reaction score
I know this thread is a bit older, however I am in the same boat as moose. I used to have a trailer module hooked up, it blew so I removed it. My lights did work for a while but now the front and rear driver side lights (front marker and rear tail light) are no longer working.

I've replaced the bulbs and checked all the fuses but they are still not working.

I will try the ground connection today when I get home and post back results.

DiegoND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that problem and when I changed the whole tail light set the connectors were corroded lightly and I had to clean them up. Everything worked fine after that.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The circuit board went on my Ram (it was doing the same thing). Once I replaced it all was well with the world again.

fallstiger75

Reaction score
I kept having my left side lights go out also. aftermarket trailer harness, I think the trailer I was towing had a short, any way, in my case it was a fuse, right and left side lights have different fuses..later I paid the $$ for the mopar wiring harness..no more problems

pauladiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi - did you ever work out which fuse the left tail light is? 23 is empty in mine to....:freak3:

pauladiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so others know - despite the left tail light fuse being listed as fuse number 23 in the handbook, it is in fact number 7 on my 2003 KJ. :)