Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

Rear Differential Gear Lube

This is a discussion on Rear Differential Gear Lube within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I know many of us like using the dino gear lubes, and I ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Differential Gear Lube

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I know many of us like using the dino gear lubes, and I have been too.
I've been using Lucas 85w-140.
Mopar does still recommend synthetics.

Ya I should make a video of the 85w-140 after sitting in the bottle when it is below freezing outside. It a sticky goop that has the consistency of Jello LOL..
I am experiencing a sticky Trac lok diff and seems to take a long time to warm up, when it is cold outside.
My next test is to mix these 2 together in a glass and see what happens.
Would like to free the diff up a bit and I think the lighter synthetic and the heavy duty dino may work well together?

So We may end up trying 50-50 of each in a test glass and see how they react together frozen...ha ha..
Any thoughts on this?
Dave likes this.

Need A Push?

Last edited by LibertyTC; 11-14-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: replace images PB removed em
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Supporting Member

I've tried both dino and synthetics at full strength and with the appropriate modifiers for my Trac-Lok and never noticed a difference. We can get single digit (F) where I am (not this year). I only use the dino now and I don't tow so I use the 75-90 or 80-90. That's what my Ranger and Subaru call for so I only need one flavor for all.

I like your experiment. Sounds interesting.
Dave and BillyG like this.

"...if it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary…." Mark Twain

"There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away." -Tool
"To live without Hope is to Cease to live." -Dostoevsky
ltd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I read many times to never mix oils. IMO: use one or the other not both!

Maybe trac lock is the problem not the oil ??
J33Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just use regular old Dino
I would not mix them
If it worked someone would already be selling it as the greatest product to ever hit the streets of Moshi.......
J33Pfan likes this.
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ya.. but how much fun is that? Time for TC's kitchen lab test results!
First off IDK what the heck is in the Dino Lucas 85w-140, but anyone who had used this stuff knows it sticks to gears, like nothing else out there. = excellent protection.
The Lucas dino 85w-140 is very similar to a blue bottle of STP oil additive, when it comes to sticky.

So...

Ok so it is about a 75 % dino & 25 % synthetic mixture, which can be played with.
You can feel the difference in flow rate and clarity in the synthetic.
Pics are from video screen shots, oh well..
Ok I am impressed, even cold it mixed well together..

No pic but mixture was then heated to 150F as in warming up the gears and then was stirred very well again.
Anyways after 2 hours back into the freezer. The mixing is good with the lube so far, no separating back to a thick solid onto the bottom after 2 hours.
I think I may go with 40 % synthetic and 60 of the much thicker dino.
Freezer test next after 10 hours
Dave likes this.

Need A Push?

Last edited by LibertyTC; 11-14-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: replace image PB removed it
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Ok, we got a "TC is the oil guy" thread. Interesting .

I have been using dino. I know diff oil can get thick especially in cold weather. But here's the thing. When I warm up the Jeep and it is real cold out I like to only let the engine run for a minute and then "drive it" slowly at first through town because that warms up the entire drive train diffs and all before I get on it on the interstate. That's just me and what I do.

Good interesting thread, TC.

Dave
LibertyTC and ltd02 like this.

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

x2. I think there's enough of an oil film on things to protect it while it warms up. But it's fun to experiment!
Dave, LibertyTC and BillyG like this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

The mixed Lucas gear lube is out of the freezer after 10 hours.(close enough)
Click on image to see video:

The synthetic has increased flow even at 25% synthetic & 75% Dino.
It remains mixed perfectly. Looks like I now have created a quality semi-synthetic!!
Probably a 60% synthetic /40% Dino will get mixed, for the in Jeep testing.
Keep in in mind I do tow, & that alone the the 85w-140 is way too thick when cold.
I believe this mixture will free up the diff when cold, and may even offer better MPG?
Of course the Mopar limited slip additive, will be used for the Trac-lok...
Future results after installation, will follow in the future.....

Need A Push?

Last edited by LibertyTC; 02-26-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: fix video problem link
Old 02-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Really need to also check to see if there are any additives between the 2 that may react badly when mixed long term.
I don't see that small amount helping much with gas mileage in the grand scheme of things.
I'll take the 85-140 and deal with minor thickness until its warmed up for the protection.
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Good question to ask on the oil forum.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote