Rear axle asm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadhorse

Reaction score
So I need a new rear axle assembly for my 06 Liberty 3.7, I know I need 3.73 gear ratio and 12.25 ring gear diameter but the mechanic that diagnosed it told me to make sure I get a locking limited slip differential. Friday I talked to someone selling one and he told me, as far as he knew, they didn't make a locking limited slip differential for that year so at this point I'm just trying to make sure I order the right thing.

Can anyone confirm for me weather they did or didn't make a locking limited slip differential on a 2006?

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not have locking limited slip in 06. They use the braking system which is why there is separate brake lines and speed sensors at each wheel as opposed to earlier years with a single brake line to the axle and a speed sensor on top of the pumpkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No locking diff or lockers for the KJ came standard for the 06 year.

. There was a Trac-Lok limited -slip type diff that was an option on some models but not the 06. The dealer should be able to pull a "build-sheet" to get the proper parts. Something doesn't sound right from what you said. They don't send you out to get parts. They pull the "build sheet" and get the right parts. You can get a build sheet yourself on line at the jeep website or at any dealer free and find out. Your mechanic should know what is what?????

What is wrong with your diff anyway??? It is rare to have to replace the whole thing.

Dave

deadhorse

Reaction score
Guys thank you both for your responses and Dave I just took a shot on this Liberty as I got it a really good price knowing that there was something wrong with it. The rear dif had no oil in it at all and the whole thing is shot. Luckily my boss is going to let our mechanic at work do the switch witch will save my $ but at this point I'm just worried about buying the right one.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LSD differential was discontinued for the 06 year. Now. Not all KJ in 06 had traction control. If yours does not. You can put an LSD differential in it with no electronic issues. That are not easy to find. Took me 6 months 12 salvage yards and 28 kjs to find one with the Trac loc to replace my Trac lock with bad Spyder gears. If you go this route. Before you leave with the Trac loc rear. Pop the cover and inspect the Spyder gears. They are the weak point on the trac lock. Spyder gears can NOT be bought separately. The only way to get new Spyder gears is to buy a new Trac lock spool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online