Re-Using Other Cars' Sentry Keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stainless

Reaction score
I was at a new junkyard today with a friend, and had a look through their bin of key fobs -- I found three that looked like (and matched the FCC ID of) the one that came with my Jeep for $10. One of them is bound to work!

They also let me have the 5 used sentry keys that were attached to them for free. Can these be re-used at all? The key part is of course cut for another car, but if I were to get a $3 flat steel key cut, could I cut off the old teeth, glue/screw/weld the new key in place, and then program the computer to accept it?

Or did they think of that?

New blank keys are $20-$70 (plus programming, since I only have a single key) depending on where you go, so I'm looking to cheat the system wherever possible. :) I like the idea of the immobilizer, but on a 2003 vehicle, I'm prepared to just ziptie my working key inside the steering column and use the cheap keys.

Thanks!
-Al.
(2003 Jeep Liberty, One Sentry Key, One Key Fob)

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about CA models, but my US model year 03 KJ with the overhead computer (EVIC) allows me to program keys and remotes from within the vehicle, myself.

You aren't going to cut the teeth off of one key and glue or weld new teeth on. No. Just no. I mean, is $20 for the key blank really that bad? You said 20-70... what does a locksmith charge to get you into your vehicle one time, if you forget and lock the one key inside? $65? $80? It makes buying the correct key blank, cut for your Jeep totally worth it.

Now, if you can't program it yourself with EVIC, then I guess you're at the mercy of whomever can.

But you can cheap out on some things, like the remote key fob, but not others.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah your not cutting off the teeth and and welding on new ones,would cost more then buying a new key and having it programmed.

If you only have 1 programmed key your SOL,sorry but someone with a DRBIII is needed to program more regardless if you have the EVIC or not.

Replacing/adding new sentry keys is supposed to be expensive,that is the whole point as that is one of the extra safety features of that system.It used to be you could just grab a VIN and go to the dealership and have a key cut.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a new key cut and the dealer charged me nothing to cut the key and all the needed was my vin and proof I am the owner of the jeep.

Stainless

Reaction score
I've got a few regular keys made for lockouts already, that's no problem... And the weird thing is that if I start it with the remote starter and put the normal key in, I'm able to drive it around just fine. I just can't start it with a plain steel key.

Drive It Like You Stole It | HaHaBird

I can weld the keys up for free, but it looks like I might be SOL anyways -- There's nothing on Jeep sites, but on a Chrysler car website, it's mentioned that for similar model years, the computer actually does write a one-time car specific code to the key itself. =P

I've seen a few cars that have extra keys in a little black box up under the dash to make the remote start work. I'm hoping mine does too, so I can at least program my own. $100 just seems insane for 10 minutes worth of work.

-Al.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a few regular keys made for lockouts already, that's no problem... And the weird thing is that if I start it with the remote starter and put the normal key in, I'm able to drive it around just fine. I just can't start it with a plain steel key.

I can weld the keys up for free, but it looks like I might be SOL anyways -- There's nothing on Jeep sites, but on a Chrysler car website, it's mentioned that for similar model years, the computer actually does write a one-time car specific code to the key itself. =P

I've seen a few cars that have extra keys in a little black box up under the dash to make the remote start work. I'm hoping mine does too, so I can at least program my own. $100 just seems insane for 10 minutes worth of work.

-Al.

Haven't been to the Doctor lately have you?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-Al.

Can you do it? I can't. Then you pay the man what he wants (if you want it done correctly). Otherwise, good luck on the hack.