Radio Volume Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reginator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my radio volume staying on. As soon as I turn the jeep on, the radio plays for about 5 seconds then the there's no volume. Power to the stereo is still on, display, lights, etc. Once the volume quits, I have to turn radio off, then back on for the volume to work again for about 5 seconds. Radio or CD, does the same thing, and I believe all speakers do work for the brief moment. This is a stock stereo system . Is there a resistor or capacitor thats bad? or maybe the head unit itself?

Could be irrelevant, but my power steering pump went at about the same time.. Any suggestions would be grateful, Thanks

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the amplifier may be bad.

Do you know if you have the Infinity upgraded speakers, or just the standard ones? I don't know if the OEM radio has an amplifier in it, with the Infinity system, as the speakers have built in amps.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Back when I was more involved with stereos, what you describe was often caused by bad final output transistors. Unfortunately, they were usually one of the most expensive components. I'd look for another OEM radio and swap the thing out, unless you've just been waiting for an excuse to upgrade to an aftermarket unit. :)

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say...could be in the head unit or external. If there is a short in either a speaker or speaker wire, many aftermarket units will cut the output after sensing the short. I'm not sure if the OEM units do this.

Latest posts

Members online