Question regarding 02 KJ Rear Catalytic converter heat shield.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirace

Reaction score
Had to take the 02 KJ to a shop to have both valve cover gaskets replaced as well as a few other mysteries solved. Its too damn cold and I don't have a large enough garage lol.

I had them look at a rattling heat shield, it turned out to be the Catalytic converter shield and they tell me it fell apart in their hands when they tried to work with it.

They've removed it entirely. Now they are telling me I should consider replacing the entire catalytic converter before summer time since they are concerned about the head shielding being gone. They are estimating about $800 parts and labor with a 50 states approved Cat replacement.

My thing is.... The rear Cat is working JUST FINE besides the heat shielding being removed.

Do I have to be concerned about this? Will this REALLY cause an issue besides a potential for personal injury if I am working back there and I touch it while hot?

Thanks guys!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just buy a heat shield to put in place or make one.

I wonder if using header tape to wrap that part of the exhaust and the converter would suffice.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or get the shield only from similar vehicle at salvage. Miracles can be worked with large (semi truck) radiator clamps.

Latest posts

Members online