Problem starting when hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i've been having a problem starting my 05 Kj when its Hot. As in i go drive it for a while park for about 15-20 minutes and then it wont start for about 3-8 trys. I have noticed that the longer it sits the hard it is starting. I have tried fuel stabilizers and fuel additives. Nothing seems to work. My dad is a mechanic and he thinks that the jeeps temp gauge is incorrect and is letting the jeep constantly overheat then once its turnt off causing the fuel around the engine to boil making it form air pockets in the lines. He says its almost like how on the old engines they'd vaporlock.
Anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions or am i the only one thats ever experienced this?
Kj just broke 130,00miles :-k
Might give up on it and buy another vehicle.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it stumble like it's trying to start? Or does just not even start? Mine had similar symptoms, and new plugs helped.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What condition are the plugs in. If they've never been serviced, replace 'em. Usually, when there is a hard start when hot, it is an ignition problem.

after it finally starts, what comes out the tailpipe? If lots of black smoke you may have a leaky injector that is flooding the engine while it sits.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought to look for smoke. But Hopefully its just the plugs i guess ill have to break some lose tomorrow.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to check them, its just as well to change them while their out for the sub 2 dollars a plug.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i've been having a problem starting my 05 Kj when its Hot. As in i go drive it for a while park for about 15-20 minutes and then it wont start for about 3-8 trys. I have noticed that the longer it sits the hard it is starting. I have tried fuel stabilizers and fuel additives. Nothing seems to work. My dad is a mechanic and he thinks that the jeeps temp gauge is incorrect and is letting the jeep constantly overheat then once its turnt off causing the fuel around the engine to boil making it form air pockets in the lines. He says its almost like how on the old engines they'd vaporlock.
Anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions or am i the only one thats ever experienced this?
Kj just broke 130,00miles :-k
Might give up on it and buy another vehicle.
Well if your dad is a tech he would have hooked up a scanner and taken a look at the live data and compare that with what a heat gun is reading.A simple 60 second test.If your engine was actually overheating that much to prevent cranking/starting you would notice the coolant boiling in the overflow and by now the engine would be siezed if it was actually overheating all the time like that.

In your vid you posted the engine is not even turning over so you can rule out anything to do with fuel,air, and spark which are the 3 main things needed.Your issue is something is heat soaked in the starting system be it the starter or the wiring for the starting system.

Get it warmed up where this problem will happen.You will need a 2nd person for this.Have the 2nd person turn the key to crank and hold it there while your testing for voltage at the starter.You want voltage at the main power wire(thick red wire) and voltage at the solinoid wire(small wire).If you got battery voltage at both while trying to crank you can rule wiring out for now.While the 2nd person is still holding the key in crank take a small hammer(or such) and tap on the starter,if it starts cranking the starter is at fault,if nothing time to go back to the wiring and can detail that if needed.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if your dad is a tech he would have hooked up a scanner and taken a look at the live data and compare that with what a heat gun is reading.A simple 60 second test.If your engine was actually overheating that much to prevent cranking/starting you would notice the coolant boiling in the overflow and by now the engine would be siezed if it was actually overheating all the time like that.

In your vid you posted the engine is not even turning over so you can rule out anything to do with fuel,air, and spark which are the 3 main things needed.Your issue is something is heat soaked in the starting system be it the starter or the wiring for the starting system.

Get it warmed up where this problem will happen.You will need a 2nd person for this.Have the 2nd person turn the key to crank and hold it there while your testing for voltage at the starter.You want voltage at the main power wire(thick red wire) and voltage at the solinoid wire(small wire).If you got battery voltage at both while trying to crank you can rule wiring out for now.While the 2nd person is still holding the key in crank take a small hammer(or such) and tap on the starter,if it starts cranking the starter is at fault,if nothing time to go back to the wiring and can detail that if needed.
It does turn over you just cannot hear it.What im saying is as its turning over it stumbles. Ill do another video tomorrow of the camera outside but today it did it to my dad and he still seems to think its the fuel getting air pockets. We sprayed carb cleaner in it and it started right up so he's going to bring home something to test the fuel pressure or something of that source.
I guess ill check the battery tomorrow and voltage if i can find the voltage meter.
But on a plus side driving to Houston from San Antonio today for the rodeo we got about 16mpg going there and somewhere around 18mpg on the way back. Thats a huge gain compared to the 10-13 im use too. I'd say that seafoam works magic.

Latest posts

Members online