press out rear upper control arm bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
Guys, I've read all over the forum that when replacing ruca only the mopar boomerang will last past 6 mos. So I was thinking of getting a cheap aftermarket uca for about $110 and pressing out the bushings and ball joint and replacing with mopar parts. Does any one know if this is a feasible idea?
My boomerang is rusted beyond believable... I have about 110,000 miles on a 07. Mopar boomerangs are $400.00. I think I'd save at least a couple of hundred.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had a 100$ boomerang for over 2 years now and no problems.. I have a lift and also a rear JBA extender bracket

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
libordemise,
Which brand did you buy? I've heard nothing but bad about anything but Mopar.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt the factory rear uca. With Moog parts. The problem is collapsing the metal around the ball joint and bushings. Some have tried what you are thinking of doing. But the metal is thinner than the factory uca and they ended up ruining the new uca.
I rebuilt mine 5 months ago. It's doingng just fine. With the jba trilink extender and 4 inches of lift. And wheeled it several times.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
rjk2005...good to know you went with jba trilink extender, but I am remaining at stock height, no lift. Why did you decide to use the Moog parts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For all of the trouble, possibly crushing the tri-link if installing new bushings etc , not worth the time and energy IMO. Just buy a new Mopar, install and done. My time can be used for more important things

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
It's truely amazing what you find yourself doing when you need to save a couple bucks. You do what you gotta do....even the impossible sometimes. Maybe in another lifetime God will grant me easier circumstances and I can just install and be done. Then my time CAN be used for more important things.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Mevotech Supreme rear UCA for about 20k miles now, no issues whatsoever. I don't do any offroading though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using a Mevotech Supreme rear UCA for about 20k miles now, no issues whatsoever. I don't do any offroading though.

I can rip them apart on the street, 3 months tops and they are done for
must have a very light foot when you drive:gr_grin::icon_razz::icon_razz:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's truely amazing what you find yourself doing when you need to save a couple bucks. You do what you gotta do....even the impossible sometimes. Maybe in another lifetime God will grant me easier circumstances and I can just install and be done. Then my time CAN be used for more important things.

I totally agree to a point, but say you buy a cheap one and it crushes , you're out whatever you paid for it. They are so cheaply made some of them , then buying the bushings and ball joints , just saying if you were to figure up your time, parts etc then you have quite a bit into one.
I don't care if you are building a house , building a Jeep , whatever you do you have to pay yourself and there are times when it just makes more sense to buy it once and install. You have to always figure in your time.

Bure aghali, Swahili proverb, translates to Cheap is Expensive

and I'm the cheapest Mo Fo there is according to some of my buddies down home :happy175:

Last edited:

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
libordemise,
Which brand did you buy? I've heard nothing but bad about anything but Mopar.
I think it was a super crappy one, like crown Automotive or something, i figured " steel is steel," worst case i spend 100 bucks every 5 years

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All this talk about about tri-links and I just remembered I should have a Mopar one down home with less than 1000 miles on it.
Bought it while redesigning / testing the JBA bolt on one . Got final done quick and pulled it off.
Dang hope I didn't toss it on the junk trailer :blah::favorites68:

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
so Tom, are you going to offer it up for sale to me? :) Take the next courageous step...