Power steering rebuild time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a job someone can do without any special tools? Im getting a bad sound on full lock to passenger when under power, and had mybsteering stiffen up really bad... Then i noticed the power steering res was quite low, topped off, will have to check it again tomorrow,

I read about seals and a kit we can use to rebuild these?

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What are you looking at doing? New pump? New rack?

A rack swap isn't for the feint of heart....not impossible, but it ain't exactly an oil change. Possible, with a good selection of hand tools. Probably the most specialized tool you'd need are flare nut wrenches. A 13mm, 16mm and 18mm IIRC.

I haven't done my pump yet, but probably will soon.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it rarely necessary to go all the way to full lock on the steering, and by some engineers and professional drivers, it is not recommended.

I had a ton of noise and inconsistent steering feel in my KJ until I extracted the old powersteering fluid and refilled to proper capacity with new stuff. Made a night and day difference. Unless the pump is binding, leaking profusely, or the bearing is shot.. a rebuild may not be necessary. But if so, they aren't hard to do once you get the pump off. It's literally a handful of seals and o-rings.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it rarely necessary to go all the way to full lock on the steering, and by some engineers and professional drivers, it is not recommended.

I had a ton of noise and inconsistent steering feel in my KJ until I extracted the old powersteering fluid and refilled to proper capacity with new stuff. Made a night and day difference. Unless the pump is binding, leaking profusely, or the bearing is shot.. a rebuild may not be necessary. But if so, they aren't hard to do once you get the pump off. It's literally a handful of seals and o-rings.
Maybe full lock was an exxaggeration, but a hard right, j checked and my ps fluid seems the same so i dont think its leaking. I Will pump out old and replace, goog advice man!

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you looking at doing? New pump? New rack?

A rack swap isn't for the feint of heart....not impossible, but it ain't exactly an oil change. Possible, with a good selection of hand tools. Probably the most specialized tool you'd need are flare nut wrenches. A 13mm, 16mm and 18mm IIRC.

I haven't done my pump yet, but probably will soon.
I just saw a video on youtube! It actually does look like a helluva job hey??

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw a video on youtube! It actually does look like a helluva job hey??

Not one I'd be happy about doing... but begrudgingly, I'd do it myself anyhow. I guess if you had the repair funds stashed away, you could just pay a shop to deal with it.

Good start on flushing out as much old fluid as possible; it makes a difference in smoothness and keeps the pump quiet as well. If it fixes your issues, awesome. If not, hey, at least you know and it doesn't cost too much. Just be sure to put the correct fluid in!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The power steering fluid spec in the KJ is now ATF+4.
I use an $8 Wallmart suction device to remove the old fluid..
59899[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

You may have to suction out & refill a few times to get the old stuff out.
The New ATF+4 goes in easily and accurately...
59901[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• K7vf1eY.jpg
    K7vf1eY.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kNL3yGZ.jpg
    kNL3yGZ.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The other thing the hard steering could be is the high pressure line is leaking and air is getting in.

Latest posts

Members online