Power Steering Fluid change over and flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
All

I have to replace the high pressure line on the Liberty that we acquired for my son.

It is a 2002 and still has the original power steering Fluid in it (maybe not the "orginal" fluid since the hose has been replaced once before but you know what I mean - it has power steering fluid in it). I found a TSB that states that you can switch to ATF IF (big IF) you completely flush the system.

My question is since we are replacing the line, does it make sense to convert over to ATF or should we just stay with normal PS fluid?

AND if it makes since to convert, how do I completely flush the system during the conversion to ATF?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rack has been using the original fluid since 02, why not just buy that type of fluid again instead of atf?
Is there a benefit of using ATF? I don’t see one.
My eclipses use atf in the powersteering and if I recall, it cost more

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to 99% flush the system is to get several bottles of desired fluid, disconnect the return hose and route it into a catch can, then start engine and cut wheels back and forth while an assistant continuously pours the fresh fluid in.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If I had an 02, I'd just get Mopar PS fluid. Rather than risk mixing them. If it's lasted what, 16 years on PS fluid, it works.

I'm guessing the ATF+4 came in to save money on consolidation fluids, probably makes sense as it works just as well.

Members online

No members online now.