Possible Crank Seal Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm here for some more help from you all. I've had an oil leak I've been dealing with and hoping to finally track it down and fix it. From reading around, I'm guessing it's the Front Crank Seal that is leaking, but I'm looking for the input of the pros.

I don't see anything higher up leaking, though it's kind of hard to see behind everything on the front of the motor. To my untrained eyes, it looks like it is leaking out of the front crank seal and the pulley is slinging it around on the surrounding areas.

Sorry for the pics, it was night and I tried my best to get something worth while. If these don't do the trick I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. Anyways, here's what I have for you:
You must be registered for see images attach

^Attempting to look straight back through the pulley

^Oil pressure sending unit plug (doesn't look like the culprit to me?)
This is supposed to just be one wire, right?

^Under side of the crank seal/pulley

^Trying to get an overall shot of the underside of the area in question.

Please let me know what you think, or if I need to supply any better/specific pictures.

As always, thanks for all the help!

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that definitely looks like a leaking front crank seal.
It's pretty easy to replace, just make sure you get a proper harmonic balancer removal kit (the push rods that come with most kits are too short), and a good quality seal puller.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally getting ready to tackle this job. Is Mopar 53021313AA the correct part number for the front crank seal? They're calling it the Timing cover oil seal, I just wanted to make sure it was the same part before ordering.

Thanks.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the right part. As I mentioned in the other thread, check the oil sensor/sender first. Sometimes a leak from up top can find all sorts of ways to the ground.