Please Help! 2002 KJ interior bulb question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmanice

Reaction score
This will be easy as heck for someone to answer and i hope someone can. Ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out for months...

What bulb (part/model #) is needed for the shift indicator light inside the shifter that provides backlight for indicator.

Mine blew, lost the bulb, cant figure it out...

please help!!

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to thread jack but what about map and cargo light bulbs too? I want to go white LEDs had blue ones that were too long and looked "******"

bmanice

Reaction score
From my '02 parts manual:

MS820083 BULB, 14V 1.4W, Shift Bezel

Dude you rock, thanks for the lead...

Im guessing i can only get this through the dealer?

Anyone know if i can pick this up at Radioshack or something similar?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the old bulb out an then take it to the store and match it. Looking at the service manual it looks like a lamp with wire leads on it that plugs into the harness, not just a standard bulb.

goob2k

Reaction score
What's the procedure to get under the shift bezel? Does it just pop out?

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift Light

I think the 2002 is accessible by just removing the shift lever bezel. #2 piece is removed with a plastic tool or small screwdriver, it pops right out.

See below pic:

You must be registered for see images

bmanice

Reaction score
too bad i lost the original bulb. anyone care to check this out for me? i would appreciate it so much, ive been dealing with this annoyance for awhile and i hate it!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried calling a dealership and telling them what youre needing? Sometimes they are not 100% clueless and may know what youre talking about. Slim chance though..

bmanice

Reaction score
i was hoping to just order online somewhere cause the closest dealer to me is a hike away. i just cant believe how mysterious this dumb thing is...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally this is the first time Ive heard of it blowing so its not that common. Most people probably dont even notice its blown if it does blow.

Maybe the dealer will mail it to you.

bmanice

Reaction score
lol thanks for all the help guys, this has been a real cluster f and i hope this thread helps at least one person out in the future... this bulb gonna blow eventually, just wait! hahha ;) then all you guys will be thanking me!! lol

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Best to pull whole console up,unless you got little hands and double jointed,when I got to mine pluged in new bulb,all dash lights went out. Still haven't figured this one out,FSM says use OBD to diagnose.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has actually never worked since I bought the KJ. It was a long time before I realized anything was wrong. Almost all my driving is during the day. Most of my little bit of night driving is within the lit city. So I didn't ever have any problems seeing it. I need to get around to fixing it though, because every once in a while I'm driving in unlit areas.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to thread jack but what about map and cargo light bulbs too? I want to go white LEDs had blue ones that were too long and looked "******"

map lights are 194s and cargo iirc is a 196. For the map lights, you might need to get some that are rotated 90 degrees so they shine down. Also, keep in mind that they never go completely out if they're LEDs.

In Gear

Reaction score
I just changed this bulb - without removing the entire console

I think the 2002 is accessible by just removing the shift lever bezel. #2 piece is removed with a plastic tool or small screwdriver, it pops right out.

See below pic:

You must be registered for see images
I have an 06 Liberty Limited and was able to remove the shift bezel - it pops out as described. You will have to detach the modular plug for the window controllers. Then twist the bezel up around the shifter and you can get it over the shifter and off. next you will see the plastic bezel with the PRND12 written on it. On the RH side you can see two plastic tabs - work a small screwdriver in to pop the RH side - then push bezel to the left and it will release the same tabs on the LH side. now you will see a flimsy white plastic strip - it is easy to remove - two tabs and underneath it - viola - the "bulb" it pulls straight up. Then on to the Pep Boys (auto parts store) and with the help of the tech - determined a suitable replacement to be "Sylvania Long Life #37" two pack of 14V, 1.3W push in lamps. Push the lamp in being careful not to over do it - just enough pressure to seat it (careful too with greasy fingers - may want to use a cloth and try not to touch the lamp). Did this in the parking lot and drove home with the bezel loosely positioned - but finally lit up. Finished the job in day light next day - just reverse the process and snap everything back in place. Again - I did not have to remove the entire console...and now that I did this - could probably do the entire job in 10 minutes or less next time!

Latest posts

Members online