Plastic panel to hide some damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeamTurpin

Reaction score
Hi

First time poster here. I just bought my 16 yr old, Ethan, an '02 Sport, which he absolutely loves. The previous owner hit something on the road that created the below-pictured damage. The door has a nice dent/scratch, but the most severe damage is to the rocker panel. The local body shop asked for over $1,700 to fix it and some more quotes will tell me how reasonable that quote is.

In a parking lot, I parked next to a Liberty that has given me some ideas. I don't know what year it was, but it did not have the plastic fender flares that
Ethan's does. It did, however, have a black plastic trim piece that ran from wheel opening to wheel opening that covered the rocker panel. It seemed to be attached to splash guards at the either end. (I took some cell phone photos, but can't post them here.) If I could cover the damaged area with this plastic trim, I could get the door fixed for much less than the $1,700 that is over my budget.

I dropped by my Jeep parts desk to see if this was a factory or aftermarket piece. I showed him my cell phone photos and he started poking around on his computer. He found a part called 5GU03XXXAC Molding Sil and indicated that this was the part. The problem is that there were no details on his screen and only a crude drawing. I ordered a pair ($100) but won't see them until Tuesday. However, I'm just not confident that what he ordered is what I saw on that other Liberty. So, I'll ask this group:

1) Does anyone recognize the part that I (poorly) described? OEM/Aftermarket? It's not a step, just a black plastic shield/panel/strip.

2) Other than spending the money and fixing the damaged rocker, can anyone think of any part/accessory that might cover this area. I can strip off the damaged paint, treat the rust and prime the damaged area myself. But, it would be nice to cover up this area with something.

3) Any other ideas or options that I might have?

Thanks in advance.

John
Edmond, OK

You must be registered for see images

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The molding he's talking about is likely the plastic rocker panel cover that is applied to the 2005-2007 models.

In these years, there's holes in the panel where the rocker mounts to... not sure if it's screwed/bolted in or just pushed in...

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, like marlon said, that trim was put on 2005-2007 libertys. Im not sure if they changed the rocker panel or not to put that on so Im not sure if you can just pop those on.

I would sand and paint that with something if you did cover it up.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yea, like marlon said, that trim was put on 2005-2007 libertys. Im not sure if they changed the rocker panel or not to put that on so Im not sure if you can just pop those on.

I would sand and paint that with something if you did cover it up.

They did change it. There's attachment "holes" in the rocker panel now. Only reason why I know is that I saw a Liberty at work that had (not) recently got into a wreck and half of the panel cracked and fell off and exposed the mounting holes.

Said woman also had an expired license plate. She likely had no insurance. :rolleyes:

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just sand off the rust and put on some bedliner from one of the lines above all the way down on both side. Would most likely make the damage disappear from "first glance" and would protect from further scrapes and bruises...LOL

WoodysKJ

Reaction score
First question is how much money do you have tied up in the KJ to begin with? None of my biz but I would think it would be nice to fix it right and then get some Skinks for the rig so old Ethan there doen't do it again.....

JMHO