Passenger side water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cck_9

Reaction score
I searched all the prior threads around this and mine seems unique (which I still find hard to believe).

Whenever it rains passenger side getting soaked. Resealed the inlet for the cabin fan like in the sticky without finding the leak first. Took the interior apart today and put a garden hose on it. Could not find a stream of water coming in anywhere until the light went past the notch that the kick panel clips into. This section is completely full inside and then drains out that notch onto the kick panel then into the carpet. I cant for the life of me see where that water would be coming from, or why it would pool in that spot. Help!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a sunroof?
Mine was leaking from pass side A-Pillar.
Take off the side cover is it wet in there at all?
57794[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Side%20Cover.jpg
    Side%20Cover.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 6

cck_9

Reaction score
Does have a sunroof. When I put the hose on the roof though I couldn't induce a leak.

How could water make it from there down to the spot its filling up for me?

I'll take a look there tomorrow.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drain hose for the sunroof goes through the A-pillar and down through that panel you show in your pics and then through the floor.

If it is slightly plugged the water will back up and pool in that panel or on the floor.

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to clarify twobob's reply.

The sunroof drain, drains out behind the kicker panel behind the front quarter panel.
It drains out right above where the radio cable goes out to the antenna.
But this apparently varies from KJ to KJ as well.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you can use a blow gun hooked up to an air compressor to blow air through it to see if it's plugged or not/clear it out.. just no need to go crazy with psi.
Just use the V button on the sunroof to vent it open and pour some water on the roof(once again no need to go crazy) and wait to see if it drains out.. if it stays backed up..or only drains out of one side.. myself I would put the blowgun into the top of the hose and blow air through it, slightly adjusting the pressure up..
Probably not the recommended way, but I've done it to quite a few (though not as many as others on here and I'm not trying to contend, just add input) and never had a problem.

cck_9

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the replies!

I looked where the sunroof drain exits the passenger cabin, but didn't realize it doesn't just point straight down outside the car. I'll take a look there!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are 3 holes that water can go through that I know of when I was dealing with my leak.

1. by the firewall close to the corner where the firewall meets the kicker. There's a plug in place.

2. where the sunroof drain, drains out above the hole for the antenna. It should be a rigid plastic hose through a rubber grommet.

3. the radio antenna below where the sunroof drains out.

see my thread
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/need-help-sunroof-drain-front-passenger-side-grommet-60334/

cck_9

Reaction score
Sorry, holidays took over!

Still have not found the source of my troubles. Have had multiple eyes on it and we all end up stumped. Anybody on here in the Seattle area?

cck_9

Reaction score
Has anybody had a leak happen through body panel seams? I haven't a clue how water is getting in where it is.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Are you parked RF low when you do your hose test? There are three other sunroof drains, one per corner. Some folks have had the collecting pan the drain tubes attach to come loose and cause leaks.

cck_9

Reaction score
Are you parked RF low when you do your hose test? There are three other sunroof drains, one per corner. Some folks have had the collecting pan the drain tubes attach to come loose and cause leaks.

I had the car level when i did it. If the sunroof drain is clogged, water would be coming out of the hole the drain tube goes into correct?

The ONLY spot I can see water coming from (and evidence via rust/corrosion) is the slot that the kick panel clips into.

cck_9

Reaction score
Does anybody know what would be the best Jeep forum for the PNW (Seattle in particular) area? I need an expert to look at this as I am stumped. Would also really love to avoid the dealership in this case.

Members online