passenger side valve cover gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
i was wondering how hard is it to change the passenger side valve cover gasket??? do i need to drain any fluid or can i keep the heater core lines there and have enough room to remove the gasket

Lima.Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this on Saturday. You will have to remove the airbox, coolant tank, and the two lines that run just above it. As well as the PCV valve line. Disconnect the fuel injector connectors and be REALLY careful with the plastic cover that covers the wiring harness. It gets the cold/hot thing all the time and is very brittle. If it cracks it isnt a big deal, but just be careful. Then you should be able to push the wiring to side and remove the valve cover.

It takes more time to disconnect everything than the actual work of changing the gasket. Drivers side is much easier.

Also, your going to lose about a gallon of coolant, so have some handy to refill when your done.

ben94gt

Reaction score
Im a new memeber, registering because I am doing this job right now and I cannot figure out how to get the passenger valve cover off without removing the two heater lines. If anyone can tell me how this is supposed to happen, I would be forever indebted!

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a bracket down on the front of the engine, remove the lines from there and then also at the firewall. Shove the heater hoses to the side just enough to remove the valve cover

ben94gt

Reaction score
The bracket you are referring to, is that the really irritating plastic clip? Also, if I remove the lines from the firewall is coolant going to spill out everywhere?

Thanks!

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Yes on the irritating plastic clip and no you shouldn't lose too much coolant if you pull the heater lines. Guess that depends upon your definition of much. I'd try to pull them and plug them. Stuff a towel under the hoses before pulling. I've had mine off many times and always have a bit of 50:50 to top off. HOAT only!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bracket you are referring to, is that the really irritating plastic clip? Also, if I remove the lines from the firewall is coolant going to spill out everywhere?

Thanks!

Easiest way to deal with that bracket is to remove the oil filler neck, which holds the heater hose bracket in place. Once the oil filler neck is loose do as Tom said and just lift the heater hoses up and out of the way.

Some coolant will drain out of the heater core but not significant. You'll lose more taking the hose off the bottom of the coolant reservoir but again not a big deal. Just have some Zerex G-05 (HOAT coolant) and distilled water at the ready and pour equal amounts back into the coolant reservoir.

Bob