Parking Brake Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therian

Reaction score
I'm about to replace rotors/brakes on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport and I figured for the price I would just replace the parking brake ($30 for a set of two) but I was curious the manual doesn't state but is it just rear or all 4 positions? I just need to know if I need one or two sets of them. Thank you.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just the rear, both sides! Personally, if your E brake works and the shoes haven't fallen apart, I'd leave it.

Therian

Reaction score
Just the rear, both sides! Personally, if your E brake works and the shoes haven't fallen apart, I'd leave it.

Thank you, I'm about to hit 200k on my Liberty and it's still rolling stock so it's time to replace them regardless, plus it's the last thing that could be making that damn 10-15mph ticking. :happy175:

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine a couple of months ago. Its pretty straight forward but a very tedious job. Took me ages and a lot of swearing to pull those springs back into place. There are videos on Youtube that show you what to do.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm about to hit 200k on my Liberty and it's still rolling stock so it's time to replace them regardless, plus it's the last thing that could be making that damn 10-15mph ticking. :happy175:

OK yeah mine was doing that ticking too!

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped out mine recently also (3 weeks or a month ago?). Not hard to do but it was quite time consuming. I have yet to get them adjusted properly. I tightened as much as I could with the wheel through the hub, tried the backing up thing... then engage but can't hold the vehicle when in gear or on a hill of any sort. Can't figure it out... everything is brand new... or cleaned like new.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lucky my 2004 has 4 wheel disks i dont know why they still make drums?

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The 2006 is 4 discs as well, but inside the rear discs is where the parking brakes go, which are basically shoes (inside of the disk is a drum). Worse of both worlds I guess...

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped out mine recently also (3 weeks or a month ago?). Not hard to do but it was quite time consuming. I have yet to get them adjusted properly. I tightened as much as I could with the wheel through the hub, tried the backing up thing... then engage but can't hold the vehicle when in gear or on a hill of any sort. Can't figure it out... everything is brand new... or cleaned like new.

It's a defective parking brake design and should have been a recall years ago.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The 2006 is 4 discs as well, but inside the rear discs is where the parking brakes go, which are basically shoes (inside of the disk is a drum). Worse of both worlds I guess...

My '04 has rear disc also. Same thing here, rear disc hub is the parking drum. Ditto on my '14 Maxima, a friends Rouge, and I believe the wifes '16 Compass.

EDIT: My parking brake don't work for **** though on the Liberty. Froze up or something. I have no need for it so I haven't messed with it.

Last edited:

Therian

Reaction score
OK yeah mine was doing that ticking too!
Yeah, I swapped out all the other things that it could be, not because of the tick but because they needed to be changed. :happy175: Would be nice to get rid of it though.....drives me nuts when my car doesn't run/sound right, it makes me think something is going to break.

The engine on this little guy is great though....I foresee me hitting 350k. Next step is transmission flush and brake fluid flush. I also bought some ujoints a few months back but they don't seem to use the traditional size so my grease gun wont pump into them....need to figure out that issue next.

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best time to rebuild the ebrake is during the rear differential service. It doesn't take long to pull the axles once the cover is off. With the axles out of the way the e-brake is very easy to do. Also it is a good way to clean and inspect the backing plate for rust. And to spray some Rust-Oleum on the backing plate after cleaning. Don't forget to clean and grease the lever mechanism on top.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a defective parking brake design and should have been a recall years ago.

Drum brake style parking brakes are far superior to the caliper style parking brakes.Having rear drum brakes makes the parking brake even more effective.

Lack of maintenance is the biggest downfall and if you use the parking brake alot the next biggest cause is stretched cables which happens alot more then you think.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe mine is either from stretched cables or the arms not tightening the cable. It seems to get stronger, then weaker, then stronger... I can't see the adjustment wheel doing that, must be another component... then again I am only guessing.