Parking Brake - is this part siezed or made this way??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YellowSaturnGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got the rear end of my 03 tore apart for axle seals (driver side was leaking) and the parking brake siezed up last winter.

The small lever that attaches to the parking brake cable and moves the shoes... is it supposed to pivot, or should it be fixed and not movable? Both sides look just like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

When my local dealership told me the parking brake shoes were wore off, they mentioned "the pivot points were all siezed up" so I'm wonder if this is what they are talking about.

It has to go back together tomorrow night, so any help would be appreciated :)

BTW, I also learned (and was previously warned) not to let the diff turn with the pin and axles out....

Thanks,
Tom

YellowSaturnGuy

Reaction score
I used it every day up until it siezed/froze/whatever in the winter. But, I've had nothing but troubles with the parking brake on this since the day I picked it up so it was only a matter of time before I had to tear it all apart like this!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking brakes, use it or lose it, even if you have an automatic.

X2. Your automatic transmission shouldn't sit under pressure anyway. Not good for 'em. I'm so **** about it, when I stop, I put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, then move the xmission to 'park'.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got the rear end of my 03 tore apart for axle seals (driver side was leaking) and the parking brake siezed up last winter.

The small lever that attaches to the parking brake cable and moves the shoes... is it supposed to pivot, or should it be fixed and not movable? Both sides look just like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

When my local dealership told me the parking brake shoes were wore off, they mentioned "the pivot points were all siezed up" so I'm wonder if this is what they are talking about.

It has to go back together tomorrow night, so any help would be appreciated :)

BTW, I also learned (and was previously warned) not to let the diff turn with the pin and axles out....

Thanks,
Tom

I believe the part is supposed to pivot. I had to have mine replaced about a year ago, and the part was only available from Michigan, or so I was told. The symptom was a loud thumping from the RR wheel as the brake grabbed and would not release properly.

BTW I just replaced my rear axle seals about 3 months ago as well, driver's side was leaking. Check your axle where the bearing rides, for scoring. Apparently the axles' steel is softer than the bearing and will take a beating. Oh, and usually rusting brake part flakes are the reason for axle seal failure as the flakes drop off and get into the seal and chew it up.

Last edited:

YellowSaturnGuy

Reaction score
axles look fine, no major scoring. I just cleaned them up with some parts cleaner and a rag.

my wife got the pivot points free while I worked on getting the axles in and diff back together. Heading back out tonight to finish the parking brake shoes and then clean up the rotors.

still have to seal up the diff, but i'm waiting till all the brake stuff is done just in case!

Tom

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
axles look fine, no major scoring. I just cleaned them up with some parts cleaner and a rag.

my wife got the pivot points free while I worked on getting the axles in and diff back together. Heading back out tonight to finish the parking brake shoes and then clean up the rotors.

still have to seal up the diff, but i'm waiting till all the brake stuff is done just in case!

Tom

Wow! You got your wife to work on the KJ! She's definitely a KEEPER! :):)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guilty of never using my emergency brakes. I never even give them a thought except when I take it in for the annual motor vehicle inspection. Its a requirement.
And of course should your entire brake system ever fail a functional emergency brake could save your life.

butcher

Reaction score
ok, so I'm doing my parking brakes yesterday, and this lever is also seized on mine, after lots of fluid film and working it, its not only free, but also separated.
are the two pieces supposed to separate?
is there anywhere known to order this part besides the dealer?
does the leaver sit freely in the dust cover, or was / is there something to keep them stationary (besides the brake shoes)?
my cable is fine, just this lever.
also my Dust shields have started to deteriorate and are not being held onto the axle anymore. Anyone got a good line on ordering them also.
Thanks

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so I'm doing my parking brakes yesterday, and this lever is also seized on mine, after lots of fluid film and working it, its not only free, but also separated.
are the two pieces supposed to separate?
is there anywhere known to order this part besides the dealer?
does the leaver sit freely in the dust cover, or was / is there something to keep them stationary (besides the brake shoes)?
my cable is fine, just this lever.
also my Dust shields have started to deteriorate and are not being held onto the axle anymore. Anyone got a good line on ordering them also.
Thanks

Yeah it's two separate pieces. Mine were frozen solid too. But the ebrake still doesn't work so...

:icon_confused: