Overheating Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckenney35

Reaction score
Now the problem is I changed the thermostat, water pump, and coolant temp sensor. Now the car is still overheating. I'm pretty sure I bled the lines correctly, the electric fan and clutch fan is working but I can't figure out why it's still overheating. When the car heats up the top radiator line is hot as he'll but the bottom is still cool.

I've checked for all the signs of a blown head gasket (milky white oil, white exhaust coming out of tailpipe) and it doesn't appear that that is an issue

I'm confused at to what is next

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you put the Tstat back in the same way the old one was? I've heard of people flipping it although in my experience it would not fit all that well. Did you bleed it through the port on the pipe up top near the upper rad hose?

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the problem is I changed the thermostat, water pump, and coolant temp sensor. Now the car is still overheating. I'm pretty sure I bled the lines correctly, the electric fan and clutch fan is working but I can't figure out why it's still overheating. When the car heats up the top radiator line is hot as he'll but the bottom is still cool.

I've checked for all the signs of a blown head gasket (milky white oil, white exhaust coming out of tailpipe) and it doesn't appear that that is an issue

I'm confused at to what is next

IMO its either another bad thermostat or a clogged radiator.

after these results, I would have tried running it without a stat.

What brand stat did you use, because that really matters!

also, i have put a stat in boiled water on the stove to see it it opens. wife wasnt too happy about that! maybe try that with the original stat ??

ckenney35

Reaction score
IMO its either another bad thermostat or a clogged radiator.

after these results, I would have tried running it without a stat.

What brand stat did you use, because that really matters!

also, i have put a stat in boiled water on the stove to see it it opens. wife wasnt too happy about that! maybe try that with the original stat ??
It was whatever stat Napa sold me. I'm gonna get the safety stat tomorrow then. Could it be the radiator cap? If the radiator is clogged can I unclog it by taking all hoses off and running a garden hose backwards through it?

Also would it be safe to run it without a stat and for how long could I do that?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was whatever stat Napa sold me. I'm gonna get the safety stat tomorrow then. Could it be the radiator cap? If the radiator is clogged can I unclog it by taking all hoses off and running a garden hose backwards through it?

Also would it be safe to run it without a stat and for how long could I do that?

Those safety(or "fail safe) t-stats always fail within a week or 2.

Get one from the dealership and the spring goes into the engine.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I dont think you can unclog the radiator veins like that. You can maybe bring the radiator to a shop that can boil it out. IDK about the Liberty Radiator.

You should be able to run without a stat. You'd have to test that out as I've only done that with other cars -as a test!

But IMO better to run without a stat then run it with a bad stat or a clogged radiator.

* Bleed the system with the bleeder.
* turn the heat on to fill the heater core.
* its ok to get hot, but not ok to overheat.
* be patient dont get burned!!!!

ckenney35

Reaction score
I dont think you can unclog the radiator veins like that. You can maybe brink the radiator to a shop that can boil it out. IDK about the Liberty Radiator.

You should be able to run without a stat. You'd have to test it out!

But IMO better to run without a stat then run it with a bad stat or a clogged radiator.

* Bleed the system with the bleeder.
* turn the heat on to fill the heater core.
* its ok to get hot, but not ok to overheat.
* be patient dont get burned!!!!
Yeah I feel like a major moron, figures it out...I out the thermostat on backwards

devauxr

Reaction score
Personally If I were having these issues i'd run it for a while without the thermostat which would at least narrow down the list of possible issues. If it cools fine the issue is the thermostat, if you still have an issue without the thermostat than you have either a blockage, pump, or air bubble issue. But it's a $0 diagnostic tool.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel like a major moron, figures it out...I out the thermostat on backwards

Next time Always take pictures step by step. You never know how big the distractions can get ;)

and if you watch someone do it on Youboobtube first you might feel like you've already done it yesterday :gr_grin: