One thing after another

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Begin Rant:

Got our trip started last Friday, headed towards South Lake Tahoe. 2mi from Echo Summit on hwy 50, the Jeep blew the high pressure heater return line, made for a steamy hood opening in the 20 degree blizzard.

AAA saved us, towed it, and the trailer, to the closest dealership. They diagnosed it quickly, but the part wouldnt arrive until Tuesday.

Got the part in, and they said all was good to go, everything looked great.
Jeep was back in my hands by 4pm. Loaded car back up, hook up to trailer, on road at 7pm. We drove through the rain and snow all night to get to Moab. Jeep did great on the highway, towing the 3500lb trailer

Arrive in Moab at 11am, get checked in and relax for a bit. Took a look around and decided what our plans would be for the day, just wanted to have an easy afternoon. Take it to Fins N' Things, and she starts to overheat not even a quarter mile into the trail. Water pump is shot.

Shop should have it done midday. Then off to finish Fins N' Things. Still have about 4000mi left in this trip. I'm hoping this is the last time we have to stop our trip for the ol' girl.

Hopefully, this is the last of this rant.

End RANT :favorites68::favorites68::favorites68:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man that *****. Was it the original water pump?

My LR3 had a similar round of issues a month ago...had a 2000 mile trip coming up so thankfully it happened before. Had a coolant leak - cracked t stat housing. Got that fixed. Had an oil leak and air bag light on, so went to take it in again and that's when the radiator shit the bed. Then finally diagnosed a bucking issue to the charcoal canister and while I was look at that, the right rear CV axle seal was weeping. Got those two things fixed. Had to get new tires too and discovered it needs inner tie rod ends. Never ends lol!

One time I had a rental Commander with the 3.7 throw a rod in Leadville, CO...so it could be worse.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like at least these issues are cooling system related- so that to me indicates that all the weak links here are getting fixed as they fail and should be coming to an end.

Water pumps are one of those things... unless it's making bearing noise or leaking from the weep hole, they go when they go and that's all there is to it. No ones fault usually.

But look at it this way, you'll get two coolant drain and fills in one week! Should be nice and good new coolant in there now.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly - I replaced radiator,water pump, all hoses, t-stat and housing as preventive maintenance when any of my vehicles reaches 12 years old, Ive had problems in the past with other vehicles as you have.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just saying that I've had 4 (well 3 now that I think about it) drain and fills in one week for replacing parts. Needed a barrel of HOAT.

Replace old radiator -> Replaced new Mopar radiator (cracked at drain ****) -> Replace hose clamps

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all are making me feel a lot better about all this. It can always be worse. It was a quick fix, and they made sure to get all the bubbles out of the system.

Did Fins N' Things first thing this morning. Then we drove I-70 west from Moab, over two 7k passes, and down to Zion today. She did great. Excited to explore this area, then onto the next destination.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you got all the troubles out of the way in one clump and will have smooth sailing from here on out. :favorites13:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saying that I've had 4 (well 3 now that I think about it) drain and fills in one week for replacing parts. Needed a barrel of HOAT.

Replace old radiator -> Replaced new Mopar radiator (cracked at drain ****) -> Replace hose clamps

Ah gotcha! Yeah that'd be a huge bummer...

Latest posts

Members online