Oil spray around the midsection of the front drive shaft - possible VCG leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyinOrange

Reaction score
Hey all,

I noticed a burning smell after stepping out of the beastie this morning at work. Looking underneath, there appears to be fresh oil spray (with dirt) on the surfaces facing the midsection of the shaft (drivers side). Looks like oil was dripping onto the shaft and getting sent everywhere.

The front pinion seal looks clean, so it is not oil out of there. I had both the seal and the shaft proper both replaced by a ****** shop mid last week and I am wondering if the jacking up and banging to get the old shaft out might have been enough to put the old VCG over the edge?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe but that'd be one hell of a leak from the valve cover, plus I'm not sure it would exactly drip on to the front driveshaft. Are you positive the pinion seal isn't leaking?

FlyinOrange

Reaction score
Here is an image, certainly looks like a seal on/around the shaft has failed.

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No seal on there really , press fits together
Only could be a busted boot/ CV was not rebuilt right

FlyinOrange

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion!

Word back from the shop -> the part was faulty and failed. Replacement being flown in. Until then I am stuck with the shop loaner, a well branded SmartCar with flaky ABS.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion!

Word back from the shop -> the part was faulty and failed. Replacement being flown in. Until then I am stuck with the shop loaner, a well branded SmartCar with flaky ABS.

Oh god good luck with the loaner.:blah:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.