Oil leak suspects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyinOrange

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to pull the trigger on a '06 KJ and did the initial inspection + test drive today.

Before I commit to getting a mechanic to give it a more thorough look over, I was wondering if there any typical suspects for an oil leak that looks like the below? I do realize that it will ultimately need to be jacked, cleaned, and then examined to isolate the exact cause.

You must be registered for see images

I am not very familiar yet with the mechanical nuances of this Make/Model, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it definitely oil? If so, that far back it could be anything. Mine gets a bit wet there from an oil leak that I believe is the oil pressure sender leak.

Other common spot to leak from are the valve cover gaskets.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with HJ - that's pretty far back to be oil and without touching it to see it's consistency it makes it hard to say if it's engine oil or transfer case ATF+4.

It's probably not a rear main seal as those don't typically go bad on these engines but it could be the passenger valve cover gasket or the front main seal. The front seal will leak and oil runs along the oil pan 'lip' and then drops at the back of the engine. Or if it's the oil pressure sender it will do the same thing.

If you can get underneath and actually touch the fluid and rub between your fingers to see if it's oil or transfer case fluid we can help a bit more.

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oil can go that far back...mine has and on my LR3 a loose oil filter did the same thing.