Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

Offroad Tire PSI

This is a discussion on Offroad Tire PSI within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper 245/70/17 Terra Grapplers. Run 20. Works good on rocks, probably could go lower but it's good ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper View Post
245/70/17 Terra Grapplers. Run 20. Works good on rocks, probably could go lower but it's good enough. Plus for trips like Windrock where you're staying in town you don't have to air up to get on the road for a bit.
I think I aired down to 18psi on my Firestone Destination AT's two years ago at Windrock and that drive on the road to the far side of the mountain was squirrely - didn't do my tires any good. Probably should have stayed at 20psi like you did, HJ.

However, on the trails the Firestones did far better than I expected. Very dry conditions, mostly rock, dirt & gravel.

Bob
WickedBruce likes this.
  • JBA front coilovers, 948 OME Rears w/ Bilsteins, JBA Gen 4.5 A-arms
  • Moabs with 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Maybe next time I go crawling I'll air down to 15, and monitor the wheels. I'm gonna start making mental notations until I find what works well. It also depends in the weight of our vehicle too.
RockLizard Front Bumper, ParkerFab Rear Bumper
Warn M8000
ParkerFab Rock Sliders, Yukon 4.56 gears/ D30S With ARB Air Locker, G2 4.56 gears and OX Locker in the 8.25, ARB CKMA12 Compressor
Front Runner roof rack

The only easy day was yesterday.
WickedBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
I think I aired down to 18psi on my Firestone Destination AT's two years ago at Windrock and that drive on the road to the far side of the mountain was squirrely - didn't do my tires any good. Probably should have stayed at 20psi like you did, HJ.

However, on the trails the Firestones did far better than I expected. Very dry conditions, mostly rock, dirt & gravel.

Bob
That time when we aired down we had left the gauge somewhere and we had to air down with a pebble and borrowed a gauge from Sarah and Louis- good first impressions
TwoBobsKJ and WickedBruce like this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Originally Posted by WickedBruce View Post
Maybe next time I go crawling I'll air down to 15, and monitor the wheels. I'm gonna start making mental notations until I find what works well. It also depends in the weight of our vehicle too.
If your running LT tires(load range C,D,or E) and at least a AT tread design with some shoulder tread you can air down to 10psi easily if your on a narrow rim like a 265 wide tires on a 7" rim,15psi easily for a 245 on a 7" rim.

I would not recommend going lower then 18psi on a P metric tires and not to air down at all with retreads(not safe,sorry but not).
WickedBruce likes this.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

General Grabber AT2 235x85 R16
I usually go to 16 PSI for rock crawling
WickedBruce likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Mastercraft Courser AXT LT245/75/16
When hill climbing I had em at 20 psi and they were just fine, no wheel spin unless I got on her. Pretty impressed with this tire so far. Just did a 200 mile round trip to the Detroit area and back on Wednesday ran em at 33 psi cold and they heated up to around 35 psi cruising I75. Smooth and decently quiet. I know it's not rock crawling but it's something!
WickedBruce likes this.

****sold****
2004 Light Khaki Limited KJ
Mopar hitch receiver, Borla exhaust
LT245/75/16 Mastercraft AXT's
Skyjacker 3" lift(Junk)
ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote