Odd rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed today while driving around town I had an odd rattle. It came from underneath from the front half. It only happened when I was on the gas in normal town driving. As soon as I got off the gas pedal the rattle stopped. If I stepped heavy on the gas it would also stop. There is no odd vibration or anything that felt odd at all. The rattle did not have a consistent, repetitive sound. Kinda like a can of rocks being kicked. Any ideas??

Thanks. Alan

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the heat shield. I looked under it quickly today to look for a heat shield on the muffler but there isn't one. Lol. I'll check at the front. It did sound like that. Thanks

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two. They drove me nuts until I could get them welded haha

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be one of the catalytic converters - the material inside has loosened up and rattles when you're on the throttle due to exhaust gasses being forced past the material.

Or a heat shield :gr_grin:

Bob

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll say it check the front drive shaft aka prop shaft if the boot looks good take it off and take it for a ride do not put it in 4 wheel drive. If noise is gone time for CV rebuild, most likely the rear.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your downpipe heat shields as well

Heat Shields, don't need no stinkin' Head Shields.

Usually when they come loose I remove them, found its just easier with no side effects and they're not technically required by law.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat Shields, don't need no stinkin' Head Shields.

Usually when they come loose I remove them, found its just easier with no side effects and they're not technically required by law.

Well the heat shield on the drivers side cat is protecting a fuel line... I'll keep it thanks haha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.