No bu5 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrandazzo

Reaction score
Approx. 3 months ago, this problem first occurred. I was driving on the freeway when the gauges all turned off, and flashed no BU5, followed by some of the cluster lights lighting up. I pulled over, let the car sit for 5 minutes, then turned it back on. Everything was fine for these three months. Fast forward to today. During a the span of driving from work to home (35 miles aprox.), it did the error four times.

So I pulled out the cluster to see if there were any loose wires (read that some have alleviated the problem this way.) This did not fix it. I drove around the block, and it occurred again. I let it sit in my driveway idling for a few minutes. I turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes. When i turned it on, the error came up again, but this time the car died. The car will start and idle for a few seconds, then die. Also new to today, the key pad will not work for a thirty seconds to a minute, but then will for a few seconds.

The dash lights that come on are:
ESP Bags
Airbag
Seatbelt
Gas Light
(Red dot below the spedo, not sure what it is)
Traction control
Transmission
ABS
and the Passenger Airbag

Last random piece of information is that the Transmission light and the Air Bag light will turn off and on, while the others stay constant and the Gauges are all off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- James

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had the battery checked via voltage /load test?
Check wires/ clean terminals into the Body Control Module?
It may mean that communications has stopped between dash & BCM. (wiring, fuse, relay)
I think a sensor may also cause this but will let others chime in.
Is there any other P codes that are coming up (check engine codes)??

Last edited:

jrandazzo

Reaction score
Also new to today, the key pad will not work for a thirty seconds to a minute, but then will for a few seconds.

well apparently i locked the car with they keypad and now the the car will not recognize the keypad and the factory alarm will not stop going off. i tried the key in the door as well as the ignition. neither will stop the alarm. as of right now i have the battery unhooked....

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BU5=BUS

Agree w/ above advice: 1. Test/replace battery, 2. Clean/check terminals, grounds, etc.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check under passengers seat

My 05 did the same thing. Dash lit up with NOBUS displayed. No speedo, no tach, all gauges inop. Turns out the passenger seat weight sensor wiring harness was routed on the seat rails and had been cut by the seat sliders. soldered the wires back together, and have not had an issue in 50k miles.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember hearing that this NO BUS condition can be caused when the wiring harness to the instrument cluster gets loose and has intermittent connection problems. Check that, along with the other items already mentioned.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quit calling it a car (I almost gagged there) and you'll be fine.:disgust:

Then check the battery. Could very well be the culprit.