New Piston on old rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DC3

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am hoping to hear from those of you that had a valve seat drop and mangled the head and did some damage to the piston. My daughter's 02 3.7L dropped the valve seat on the #2 cylinder last week. I had driven it and made a couple of stops that day with no indication of a problem. After coming from my last stop I started it and a bad sounding metallic tapping immediately started coming from the engine. Also I was hard to start to begin with. I towed it to my buddies garage and checked the cylinders with a camera. I saw some chunks down in the cylinder laying on top of the piston. We removed the head and I took a magnet and it pretty much removed all the pieces. The chamber of the head was what I consider badly damaged along with the piston top located opposite of the intake valve. Incredibly the valve was not bent or damaged on the outside. Now my question is, I plan on replacing the piston and rings. There does not seem to be any scratches or damage to the cylinder so I plan to reuse the rod and bearings on that cylinder. I will hone the cylinder to help seat in the rings. Will reusing the old rod and bearing cause an issue or should I install a new rod also? The engine will remain in the vehicle. I do have two re-manufactured heads ordered. All other pistons are fine with very little carbon build up. Any and all advice will be appreciated. I'll add a pic of the head and piston. The pictures don't really give a good representation of the depth of the dings in the aluminum.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online