Need help with 3.7 changes year to year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strong1

Reaction score
All right here is the problem:
I have a 2002 jeep liberty 3.7 that needs a engine.

Solution:
To put in another 3.7 but what year of 3.7 will work?

I know that the 02 3.7 had a reluctor wheel on the crank. It is said that this did change on the 05 3.7
Which means that the 02-04 are the same 3.7 with the reluctor wheel.

What about the 05-07 3.7 would it be possible to put the 02 reluctor on that engine and use it. I know I might also have to change out some sensors but no problem.

Last Question:
Are all long blocks 02-07 the same (just the block and heads no sensors, manifolds ect.) besides the reluctor wheel that came on the 02-04

02-04 engines are hard to find but there are 05 and up all over the place. Please help!!!!

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve train failure cause your need for a new engine? [curiosity]

Rumor has it that the 2002 block is slightly unique to all other model years and as such can only be swapped with that singular year.

However - I've not seed the blocks compared side by side so I don't know for sure.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i think we had this discussion on here before not too long ago and the verdict was rebuild what you got or find another 02' motor to replace it as you can't swap with other years period.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
It really does suck you can't use the 05 and up 3.7; but with money comes magic. unfortunately, the money you would need to convert is more than getting your year motor, or just having yours rebuilt. I got lucky with using a 1994 ford explorer 4x4 motor in my 1993 4.0 Aerostar (gave it to my brother, then he sold it, how nice), lots of the things where different, but they made it work.

Just as an example, On the 1994 motor:
No crank position sensor on the Main pulley, but the MOUNT hole was there, so they had to use my crank pulley and mount the sensor there. Intake was completely different, and had to be swapped from my 4.0. The intake manifold on the 1994 had an extra vacuum hose nozzle, the idiots didn't plug up correctly, it fell off and ran like crap, but I found it ad put a Jell cap on it. Some other problems that they had, but they got it to work.

Then they SAID They could not get the 1994 motor to bolt up to the transmission while the trans was IN the thing, so they had to take that out, and guide it all in from the front. In the process, they broke all kinds of shit in the engine compartment, so I ended up not paying for $150.00 of the install cost. They wanted 600.00 to install it, I paid for HALF up front, then he wanted a laptop for his kid. When they were done, he decided he didn't want the lap-top. All I had was 150.00 on me, so he took that to let me take the Van, and I owed 150.00. Well, it took them hill-billies SIX MONTHS to install the motor, that had a 6-month warranty. THAT ran out before they even installed it... YES, it was an Auto garage, not a back-yard shop, they just fussed around with mine. They had no idea what they were in for, and said they would have charged me more if they knew what they had to do to get this other motor to work. But after breaking the Driver headlamp socket, MAF sensor, Air Box, and all the wiring harness fastener holes, and what not, I refused to pay the last 150.00 unless they repaired what they broke. Since that would have cost more for THEM, they had no choice. Then, summer rolls around, to find the A/C doesn't work, and id DID before they replaced the engine. So, I figured they did not rechange the system, so I did, and all the shit blew out the back of the compressor where the hose fittings are. They did not put the "O" rings back in either. They made a total mess of it, but it ran... The plug wires laid all over the place, and looked like spagetti in the engine compartment. But, that's what I get for using Gomer, Andy, and his pals...

I also provided platinum Plugs, plug wires, and synthetic oil & a filter, for which they didn't use, I found out MUCH later. They were supposed to replace the valve cover gaskets, they did not, and it leaked oil a month later, and there was nothing I could do to EASY fix that, so I let it go... THEN to top it all off, the guy who took over the place, stole the Payphone when he closed down. So, as friends and business professionals? THEY SUCKED!

The umm, silver lining? Since the 4.0 was from a 1994 Explorer 4x4, a heavier vehicle; I had the higher rated HP/torque motor due to the cam difference, and I could launch this van like no body's business. The problem with that was, it fell flat on its face at about 70, but from 0-60, you weren't beating me, it was awesome. I could drag this van from light to light and surprise a lot of people. I drove it with the 4.0 it originally had; and this other 4.0 was a HUGE difference in low end power, liked it, but it had the disadvantages, like 12 MPG, but it was by far, the best 0-60 car I ever had, even this Jeep can't get there before my Van did...

strong1

Reaction score
I really appreciate all you guys helping me out. As far as the frailer on the engine. Wife was driving it and she heard it knocking :confused: and thought it was going to go away :eek:. And put a rod through the block….. So the rebuild is out of the question. I might try to see if I cant get some schematics on the engines and what was change. I have a friend that is a master tech and works at the dealership. I cant see how cost efficient it could be to build a 02 engine for one year and change so much it would not work on other vehicle they produce in the future.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2002 KJ engine was changed straight away because it was considered too noisy.

Also the transmission changed from the 45RFE to the 42RLE between the change over.

But again to me it's just a rumor because I haven't seen a newer block next to the 2002. When it comes time for me to need a rebuild I might buy a newer block just to investigate.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a good situation to put this question to bed...

When you pull the blown motor and start comparing it to other model years let us know if the block can be swapped out with other years.

Seems like this 02' issue comes up fairly often now as many 02's are getting up there in miles. I read over on LOST one owners adventure in replacing the motor in an 02', it was mainly something to do with the differences of the transmission, not that the 45 and 42 wouldn't bolt up to the same block, but something else with the crankshaft and such.

I can see that it should be possible though to take an 03-04 block and re-use the 02' crank then... But i'm just guessing at the differences at this point.

Also, if you can find a rare early 03' that had the same 45 trans then you shouldn't have a problem. My early 03' came with the 42 trans though, and its before the date everyone says the changeover took place, so thats a 50/50 shot to find.

Latest posts

Members online