Napa alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my alternator and I have been searching and want to know if the 160 amp Napa alternator is worth the price. It is new and comes with the Napa lifetime warranty.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NNE1N9729

I have been checking local autoparts stores and all they seem to have is re-manufactured or some brand from China that gets awful reviews. The Duralast is the only one that has a lifetime warranty, but that gets pretty bad reviews.

I have also looked locally about having mine rebuilt but no one does it. I thought about just replacing the brushes but it is the original alternator and did not want something else to go bad and just keep fixing it over and over.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I read bad reviews on all the part store ones. I got a junkyard one with 60k miles on it for $50 out of a Dakota. Pretty much any Mopar SUV/truck a similar vintage to the KJ will have the same one.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious= at how many miles were the factory Alt's failing?
Was it the regulator or bearing shot?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine was bearings, probably had around 150k give or take.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one around here rebuilds alternators that I can find. I had the electrical system tested and the amperage output from the alternator was all over the place.

The headlights are flickering a little and dim when I turn on the fog lights and when the engine RPM's drop when I come to a stop. The tech said that was normal for a failing alternator and that I probably have between 2-6 months from his experience. I only just passed 100k but the Jeep is 10 years old.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one around here rebuilds alternators that I can find. I had the electrical system tested and the amperage output from the alternator was all over the place.

The headlights are flickering a little and dim when I turn on the fog lights and when the engine RPM's drop when I come to a stop. The tech said that was normal for a failing alternator and that I probably have between 2-6 months from his experience. I only just passed 100k but the Jeep is 10 years old.

I googled for you.. yeah, not much showing up that isn't' 4 hours away in Virginia Beach: Browning's Alternator & Starter Exchange - 1736 Independence Blvd Virginia Beach VA 23455 - Local Search - Hampton Roads, VA Local Businesses

Maybe a small time mom and pop type shop that isn't listed on the internet or something... I know around me, we have Armature Rewind that does exactly what you are looking for, and they aren't too easy to find online.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had not thought of that. There are a few small engine repair shops close to me. I could try one of those and see what they would charge. Thanks for the tip.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I am with HJ on finding one from junkyard, low miles way to go.
I don't know what they charge to rebuild the Denso, but around here it would be $200.
Interesting to note that Nippendenso makes Denso.
Bosch also makes new ones, not that I can find a parts look up easily, but many recommend the new Bosch.
Rock Auto has quite a few remans listed if you are in a hurry, but I also checked one of the site's sponsors, Interesting...Link: https://www.carid.com/2007-jeep-liberty-replacement-alternators/?filter=1&sub-model[Liter][]=3.7L
Maybe check with some of your local parts store to see what they have as new, not rebuilt may also be an idea....
One thing to note is that the Denso has internal fan. Many others are external.
Denso part # for 136 amp shown in photo, can google that too..
60699[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

One thing is for sure any alt that is tested & working properly is better than one that's about to croak!

Attachments

• b7IakiD.jpg
    b7IakiD.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had to get a Denso reman for the LR3 (alt randomly packed up one day) and it's been fine. I'd trust a Denso reman but really $50 for a good used OEM one is hard to beat, very easy to find one out of something. Dakotas, Durangos, etc. I should be good for another 100k.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our alternators are not internally regulated, they are regulated by the PCM. My happens to be externally regulated by a ford extra heavy duty voltage regulator.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our alternators are not internally regulated, they are regulated by the PCM. My happens to be externally regulated by a ford extra heavy duty voltage regulator.
You can get a kit to bypass the pcm and run you're own external reg.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, in case anyone is not sure, a re-manufactured alternator or starter is essentially "new" with the exception of the cast aluminum or steel housings. The electrical components inside are new. Might not be OE quality, depending on brand, might be.. but the parts that matter, bearings, stator, primary windings, reluctors, etc are new off the shelf.

That is different than some others that are sold as well- if it does not specify "new build" or "remanufactured", then assume it is a rebuild. In which case it is disassembled, housings cleaned, the failed component replaced and then the whole thing put back together.

That used to be the difference when I worked at Autozone and we had the Duralast branded remans, and the Valucraft units with only a 1yr warranty.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. A lot to think about. Thank you for all the great information. Since I do have some time I am looking around for the best deal.

Latest posts

Members online