My Winch Mounted-So Happy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my winch mounted! I am so happy with the results....Only wiring it is left to do. Here are some pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks Nice! Did you have to trim the grille any or just the bumper,cover? What winch is it?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good Jim.

Dave

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sleepyjim, what thickness plate did you use? Looks great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a noob when it comes to fabrication, but I find it really interesting. How do you know that what you've built will be strong enough to winch off of? Is it bolted anywhere, or just welded, and is one stronger than the other?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a noob when it comes to fabrication, but I find it really interesting. How do you know that what you've built will be strong enough to winch off of? Is it bolted anywhere, or just welded, and is one stronger than the other?

This comes from experience, and/or having a mentor, and/or copying what you've seen others use successfully.

You can also look up the rated strength for specific parts and do some math.

Take the minimum yield in psi of the ASTM grade (y), multiplied by the stress area of the specific diameter (a). This formula will give you the ultimate yield strength of that size and grade of bolt (x).

y*a²=x

Example with 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt: 130,000psi*0.226in²=29380lbs
So the 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt will hold 29380lbs before yielding.

Take the minimum tensile strength in psi of the ASTM grade, multiplied by the stress area of the diameter. This formula will give you the ultimate tensile strength of that size and grade of bolt.

t*a²=x

Example with 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt: 150,000psi*0.226in²=33900lbs until failure.

Now to find the shear strength you just multiply the ultimate tensile strength of the bolt by 60%. It is important to understand that this value is only an estimate. Unlike tensile and yield strengths, there are no published shear strength values or requirements for ASTM specifications. The Industrial Fastener Institute states that shear strength is approximately 60% of the minimum tensile strength.

So for the 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt you have 33,900*.60= 20340lbs to shear the bolt.

Lets just say 20k lbs and lets imagine this is for a front bumper with a winch. Say you have 6 of these bolts holding the bumper to the frame/body. It should take 120k lbs of force to break the bolts. Before that would happen you would probably pull the bolts out of the thin metal on the frame/body.

Ok, to prevent that you plate the area it bolts to with 1/8 or 1/4" steel plate. This now makes the weakest point of your setup the winch cable which is usually rated for ~12k-20k lbs if steel and ~15-20k lbs if synthetic. You'll snap your cable before you rip off your winch/bumper.

For areas that are welded, if you're getting enough penetration into the metals your weld should be stronger than the surrounding metal. You can test this by cutting a test piece and inspecting the penetration or having it x-rayed if you can't destroy the prototype. If it's not a critical weld that will get someone killed if it fails you can just weld up a similar piece and put it in a press or vise and bend the joint and see what fails first.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to cut 2 of the blue grill pieces, none of the black part.

X-Bull 13K a little over kill I know.....

Jim

Never measured but it is thick, drop a bomb on the KJ and that winch mount will still be good to go....My guy a wonderful job, way better than what I had in mind.

Jim

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This comes from experience, and/or having a mentor, and/or copying what you've seen others use successfully.

You can also look up the rated strength for specific parts and do some math.

Take the minimum yield in psi of the ASTM grade (y), multiplied by the stress area of the specific diameter (a). This formula will give you the ultimate yield strength of that size and grade of bolt (x).

y*a²=x

Example with 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt: 130,000psi*0.226in²=29380lbs
So the 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt will hold 29380lbs before yielding.

Take the minimum tensile strength in psi of the ASTM grade, multiplied by the stress area of the diameter. This formula will give you the ultimate tensile strength of that size and grade of bolt.

t*a²=x

Example with 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt: 150,000psi*0.226in²=33900lbs until failure.

Now to find the shear strength you just multiply the ultimate tensile strength of the bolt by 60%. It is important to understand that this value is only an estimate. Unlike tensile and yield strengths, there are no published shear strength values or requirements for ASTM specifications. The Industrial Fastener Institute states that shear strength is approximately 60% of the minimum tensile strength.

So for the 5/8"-11 grade 8 bolt you have 33,900*.60= 20340lbs to shear the bolt.

Lets just say 20k lbs and lets imagine this is for a front bumper with a winch. Say you have 6 of these bolts holding the bumper to the frame/body. It should take 120k lbs of force to break the bolts. Before that would happen you would probably pull the bolts out of the thin metal on the frame/body.

Ok, to prevent that you plate the area it bolts to with 1/8 or 1/4" steel plate. This now makes the weakest point of your setup the winch cable which is usually rated for ~12k-20k lbs if steel and ~15-20k lbs if synthetic. You'll snap your cable before you rip off your winch/bumper.

For areas that are welded, if you're getting enough penetration into the metals your weld should be stronger than the surrounding metal. You can test this by cutting a test piece and inspecting the penetration or having it x-rayed if you can't destroy the prototype. If it's not a critical weld that will get someone killed if it fails you can just weld up a similar piece and put it in a press or vise and bend the joint and see what fails first.

WOW Myke all that math.......I shoulda copied from you in scholl!

LOL

Jim