My key fob keeps coming apart.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crasher

Reaction score
Is this a regular problem, or almost never happens to anyone?

'New' key fob I hardly ever used, original was getting worn out.

I insert the key into ignition, twist, and the two halves pop apart half the time, dropping the guts on the floor.
It's not like I'm a gorilla when I start it, and I've learned to be gentle, but still...

If I drop the fob, it pops open.

If I have it clipped on my belt, and I bump it - you know where this is going....

What do you think - put a new battery in and use silicon caulk to 'glue' it together?
I'm thinking it might possibly make it easier to pop open if/when I have to replace the battery.

otoh, the Yeep is a 2006 with <130K so I might never need a new fob battery.

:emotions33:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
6ou said you have 2 key fobs so get a third and program it maybe? You can do this as long as you have 2 working keys with my 05 so not sure about your 06 as the keys/fobs changed a couple of times from 02-07 KJ's. I haven't heard of this happening so yours might be cracked/defective??

Check your owners manual for key reprogramming if you decide to get another key and be sure it is for an 06.. Mine has directions for my 05 but your 06 might be different.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The keys for LR3 are glued together from the factory, so to replace a battery you have to cut them open and then re glue. I tried silicone, RTV, super glue, nothing worked. Finally tried this:
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...XPX-UWUDmw2n_ejDNI1-6EcdW-nY0-9MaAjv6EALw_wcB

And it's been good for a few years.

Or, buy a new blank off of ebay for $10, get someone to cut it and then put the old guts into it. I've done that for the KJ since there's that option.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Or, buy a new blank off of ebay for $10, get someone to cut it and then put the old guts into it. I've done that for the KJ since there's that option.

That's what I would do. I would also program a third key and keep it in a safe place. I have three and if I ever lose one I will program a new one ASAP, as the spare I bought was only $22 compared to $150 for the dealer to do it.