Mid fire, stutter, transmission issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lefthockey

Reaction score
06 3.7 liberty

I had a bad timing chain tensioner and hoped that would fix all my issues but it didn't.

I still have what feels like an engine misfire. I don't have any codes. It is well over due for spark plugs but am worried about breaking them off since they are over due.

The stutter happens around 40-50 mph. Worst when you are either trying to hold that speed or accelerate slowly. It has progressively gotten worse. Any ideas on where to start. Suck it up and risk breaking the spark plugs off?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. Those plugs are only good for maybe 30k. Could be your problem. did they do a compression test for you? If they did the plugs would have been removed and easy to pull now

Be sure to get the mopar equivalent spark plugs (I've forgotten the part #) , these engines seem to work best with those plugs, platinum and other high end plugs don't seem to work well with the Computer.

If your worried about breaking the plugs spend a little bit for a more specialized socket extension. I got a swivel socked extension made for the spark plugs on my f150, those have a history of breaking in the cylinder head. I haven't had any trouble with the 3.7. Maybe spray some pb blast or something similar to let it soak in. Some of the others may have better advice on the plugs, like I said they haven't been a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the OEM spark plugs are ngk 6987.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the right PN. How far overdue are they? I *accidentally* left my stock ones in for about 100k miles and they came out fine. :D

I'd do the PB blaster soak overnight (just make sure to change your oil after). Then when you go to take them out, loosen them a bit then retighten a bit. Keep doing that until it feels easy.

Then for the new ones, I used antiseize, some say don't (I did some research and as long as you don't dip the thing in antiseize, just a dab on the threads, it's a good thing), do them hand tight plus 1/4 turn.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As per the under hood sticker/specs, these will make the KJ run good! :gr_grin:
59938[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I replace em every 40 k cause the hot ignition eats the gaps quickly.
Look forward to see a few photos of your old plugs once they are out! :favorites13:

Attachments

• szdu6vk.jpg
    szdu6vk.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0