Malfunction Indicator Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came on while I was driving home tonight, pulled over to check the manual. Wasn't flashing or anything. Sounds/runs fine...what do I check and where? I'm assuming it's just a fluid issue...?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By 'malfunction indicator light' do you mean 'check engine light'? Regardless, to pull a code, put the key in the ignition, and without turning the jeep over (start position), turn key to:

on position
off position
on position
off position
on position

just like that, three times within about 5 second, and it will return a P code. If no codes are found, it will report "done" on the trip odometer.

If it is the CEL (check engine light) a common issue with that is a improperly secured gas cap. Happens with most modern vehicles. Check you gas cap regardless of the codes being reported.

L

lil black liberty

Just go to an Autozone and get them to run an OBDII test on it.. It's free and it will tell you the problem.. Or go buy one yourself I got mine I think for about $30 it's simple but it works like a charm!

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the auto computer that reads info from the OBDII but I have no idea how to work that portion of it or what to look for. And no, by malfunction indicator light I do not mean the check engine light...according to the manual it's something with the emissions, and is driveable unless flashing, in which case "severe catalytic converter damage may result and the vehicle must be serviced immediately." I assume the check engine light is different...and would say "check engine," lol, but as I've never had it come on before I wouldn't know. Gas cap is fine, I already checked it, and if it's bad fuel as the manual suggests it wouldn't make sense to me considering I've already run through almost 1/4 of the full tank I put in a day or so ago...not sure why the fuel would have suddenly turned poor quality.

My dad suggested ****** fluid, but considering it's a 5-speed I wasn't sure where/how to check this--not the same as an auto, I assume? I'm kind of just blabbering here because it's late and I haven't actually checked anything yet--I figured I'd have to check fluids when the vehicle was cold so I was planning to check in the morning before I have to go to school.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to an Autozone and get them to run an OBDII test on it.. It's free and it will tell you the problem.. Or go buy one yourself I got mine I think for about $30 it's simple but it works like a charm!

X2
autozone does it for free, and by emission the first thing that come to my mind is...O2 sensors

hope evertying works out and that is something simple

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the auto computer that reads info from the OBDII but I have no idea how to work that portion of it or what to look for. And no, by malfunction indicator light I do not mean the check engine light...according to the manual it's something with the emissions, and is driveable unless flashing, in which case "severe catalytic converter damage may result and the vehicle must be serviced immediately." I assume the check engine light is different...and would say "check engine," lol, but as I've never had it come on before I wouldn't know. Gas cap is fine, I already checked it, and if it's bad fuel as the manual suggests it wouldn't make sense to me considering I've already run through almost 1/4 of the full tank I put in a day or so ago...not sure why the fuel would have suddenly turned poor quality.

My dad suggested ****** fluid, but considering it's a 5-speed I wasn't sure where/how to check this--not the same as an auto, I assume? I'm kind of just blabbering here because it's late and I haven't actually checked anything yet--I figured I'd have to check fluids when the vehicle was cold so I was planning to check in the morning before I have to go to school.
Check engine light = Malfunction indicator light,they are 1 and the same.Could be one of about 10,000 different problems,or more then one problem.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran the codes this morning...P1281, something with the thermostat, engine staying cold too long. Is this correct (found via Google), and what exactly does this entail as far as replacement costs?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran the codes this morning...P1281, something with the thermostat, engine staying cold too long. Is this correct (found via Google), and what exactly does this entail as far as replacement costs?
Stuck open t-stat,replace it.Looking at about $26 for the t-stat then about 1-2 gallons of 50/50 mix of HOAT coolant.

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the coolant already, haven't put it in yet though. Is it safe to drive it tonight and work on it Saturday, or should I wait and take care of it before I drive it again? And do I have to put the coolant in after the thermostat is fixed or can I do it beforehand? Thanks for the help everyone =]

Edit: Btw, if the thermostat was stuck open, shouldn't it in theory be taking forever to heat up? Because it hasn't been doing that...and if it was stuck closed, it should in theory be overheating, which it also wasn't doing. And how do I know it's the thermostat and not a sensor somewhere? Or are they one and the same?

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2
autozone does it for free, and by emission the first thing that come to my mind is...O2 sensors

hope evertying works out and that is something simple

Or, you could do it in your driveway for free. Without an OBDII reader.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be taking longer to warm up but it just may be stuck open a little. Not something you would notice but the engine isnt getting to the temp it wants quick enough. If it were stuck wide open then yeah, it would take forever to warm up.

Most of the antifreeze will drain out when you replace the tstat. Be very careful when removing the bolts in the tstat housing if you are someone in your family is replacing it. Read about a few people breaking those bolts off.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the bolts haven't broken, but the one on the bottom is rounded, maybe from road salt? Either way, between my dad and I both we can NOT get the hose off, it'll twist every which way and you can get under the edge with a flathead screwdriver, but the hose won't detach from the housing for the thermostat. We tried a heat gun in the hopes of making it more flexible but that didn't seem to work either. I don't want to cut it off because the hose itself doesn't look like it's in too bad of shape aside from that big 8 year old dent. Plus then I'd have to wrestle it off the radiator side as well which I'd rather not try to do.

Advice? Or should I just break down and have it towed to my mechanic's place?

Blah.

Latest posts

Members online