Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

Low Beams Don't Work!

This is a discussion on Low Beams Don't Work! within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I have a 2005 Liberty Sport and the low beams won't come on. ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Low Beams Don't Work!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have a 2005 Liberty Sport and the low beams won't come on. I have checked and changed fuses, wires and the headlight switch. I can't find the low beam relay. Does anybody know where this is or what my problem is??
zachw0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Had this happen in my old Ranger once... replacing the bulbs fixed the problem.
yellocoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Did that. The only thing I haven't checked or replaced is the relay, if there is one.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

There is a relay, and it is located on the back side of the junction block (which is where the fuse block is located). Here is a diagram of where it is:

The area outlined in blue is the fuse block that you see when you remove the cover from the end of the dash on the driver's side, and the yellow box is where the BCM (body control module) is mounted. Here is a photo of the fuse block:

The red outline is the end of the BCM, and the green dashed outline is where the low beam relay is located - the black object near the top corner of the BCM is the high-beam relay. In order to actually see the low beam relay you'll need to get your head down where the brake and gas pedals are and look up into that corner with a light. Not sure how much room there is to get in there and replace it, hopefully you won't need to get someone with small hands to help It looks like you can swap out the high beam relay for the low beam and test to see if they work; if they do then you'll know what to pick up at the local parts store.

Kevin
'03 Flame Red Liberty
"A stick of dynamite to blow out the side of the tomb, scoop the bones aside, you grab the Amulet and you run"
I. Jones
American Journal of Archaeology
Corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Corwyyn View Post
There is a relay, and it is located on the back side of the junction block (which is where the fuse block is located). Here is a diagram of where it is:

The area outlined in blue is the fuse block that you see when you remove the cover from the end of the dash on the driver's side, and the yellow box is where the BCM (body control module) is mounted. Here is a photo of the fuse block:

The red outline is the end of the BCM, and the green dashed outline is where the low beam relay is located - the black object near the top corner of the BCM is the high-beam relay. In order to actually see the low beam relay you'll need to get your head down where the brake and gas pedals are and look up into that corner with a light. Not sure how much room there is to get in there and replace it, hopefully you won't need to get someone with small hands to help It looks like you can swap out the high beam relay for the low beam and test to see if they work; if they do then you'll know what to pick up at the local parts store.
Wow! Great answer. It doesn't get any clearer than that!
brucebotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

That is a GREAT ANSWER!

Thank you for that answer! That is exactly what I've spent the last 5 days looking for on the internet, and calling dealers and other mechanics.

P.S.
I've had my head under there for hours a day, pulling relays and switching them out, but you can't easily get up that far, so now I can try that too.

Last edited by zachw0903; 08-07-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok. Changed the relay. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY MY LOW BEAMS WON'T WORK?!?!?!?!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by zachw0903 View Post
Ok. Changed the relay. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY MY LOW BEAMS WON'T WORK?!?!?!?!
Someone mentioned bulbs and the liklihood of two bulbs going out at exactly the same time is very unlikely. Since you changed the relay, you might start considering the combination switch itself. This one might be worth taking to a mechanic if you can't trace it. Electrical problems like this are often inexpensive to fix, but a b*tch to figure out, so all of your cost is in labor trying to locate it.
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Electronics: Garmin nuVi 265t GPS/ScanGauge II/Cobra 1500 watt (3000 peak) Inverter
Mileage trend:

I'm doing God's work...because he's too f*@$%ing lazy to do it himself.
jnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm going to guess the multi-switch. Have you checked to ensure that's functioing properly?
Electronics: 10" Kappa Perfect/Lanzar Vibe 211, 2006 EVIC, Midland 75-822 w/3' Firefly
Suspension: OME 926/947 w/extras, Rancho RSX, 245/75-16 Cooper Discoverer AT3
Atrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Looks like he has already done thw switch:
Originally Posted by zachw0903 View Post
I have a 2005 Liberty Sport and the low beams won't come on. I have checked and changed fuses, wires and the headlight switch. I can't find the low beam relay. Does anybody know where this is or what my problem is??
If the wires are good (no signs of heat damage to the insulation, nicks, cuts), the relay has been checked, fuses and bulbs replaced then it is probably time to bite the bullet and go to a mechanic. As mentioned finding electrical issues can be a PITA and often it's easier all around to have someone with experience do the work for you.

Kevin
'03 Flame Red Liberty
"A stick of dynamite to blow out the side of the tomb, scoop the bones aside, you grab the Amulet and you run"
I. Jones
American Journal of Archaeology
Corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote