A little stumble occasionally. No codes. Lots of Power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little stumble occasionally or slight miss at idle. No codes. Lots of Power!

Spark plugs are NGK Plat and 6 months old.

Is this Normal for a 150k miles V6 Limited

Will this stop me from passing a NYS emissions test?

change Plugs or leave em in??

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should have copper plugs in it. Clean the throttle body too!

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have copper plugs in it. Clean the throttle body too!

which TB cleaner as I know some cleaners can do damage to the TB coatings.

and .... what plug # & brand were you referring to?

thanks!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Regular TB Spray Cleaner as no teflon coatings on earlier models.
The first time I cleaned the IAC and port, it was so nasty with carbon.
I used TB spray on TB and carb cleaner inside the IAC port to get it clean, it was that bad.
See post #10 Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/idle-air-control-no-screws-44826/#post475141

As per under hood sticker, I only use the copper core NGK ZFR6F-11G - gap at .040. Jeep likes them a lot.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.7 (& 4.7) seem to have a common haunt where occasionally the idle dips below 550 then surges back, various explanations for why from torque converter, low transmission fluid, to crank position sensor and cam position sensor.
I've not found the cause yet.
About the spark plug I hear the oem equivalent copper are the way to go. Very finely tuned and balanced by Jeep. Anything else seems to cause issues.

A few people say the oem similar equivalent in platinum is better once the PCM learns it. I have no experience with it and would stick with oem plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The IAC controls the idle and I also had surging problems.
I Ended up replacing IAC and TPS sensor.
Slight misfires(not triggering engine light) as seen on live data scanner, replaced the coil packs, use Mopar coils if you can.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the oem plugs are SPZFR6F11G
There should be another part number for the manufacture, NGK? I think

You might be fine with the new platinum plugs, I do know the 3.7 is one of the rare vehicles that don't Benefit from platinum plugs. Although some do swear they run better with them once it's learned by computer.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok WOW good thing I changed the Plugs today!

The plugs the other owner used were not gaped to .040. They were most likely out of the NGK Plat box with a .035 gap.

3 out of 6 cylinders had antifreeze below the coil's O-Ring. #6 plug had trans fluid in there too!

So I cleaned everything up and am looking to buy some new coils! So let me know if you see any OEM discounts out there

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How I'd have transmission fluid? Refilling?
Antifreeze maybe the heater line leaked.

I'd look for a good used low mileage set on eBay. Or junk yard. Whatever you do Keep it mopar for sure. The Chinese knockoffs don't last.

But there may be nothing wrong with yours really. How high is the mileage?
What year do have ?

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How I'd have transmission fluid? Refilling?
Antifreeze maybe the heater line leaked.

I'd look for a good used low mileage set on eBay. Or junk yard. Whatever you do Keep it mopar for sure. The Chinese knockoffs don't last.

But there may be nothing wrong with yours really. How high is the mileage?
What year do have ?

150k miles!

maybe I should just buy/RNR the O-rings??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the oem plugs are SPZFR6F11G
There should be another part number for the manufacture, NGK? I think

You might be fine with the new platinum plugs, I do know the 3.7 is one of the rare vehicles that don't Benefit from platinum plugs. Although some do swear they run better with them once it's learned by computer.

No on the Plats, they don't run better nor does it learn around

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No on the Plats, they don't run better nor does it learn around

That's what I thought, but I have seen a few people who say different. Personally I'd keep to the recommended plug as you confirm.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
150k miles!

maybe I should just buy/RNR the O-rings??

Well it wouldn't go amiss replace them, but they might be ok.

Should be mopar 56028138AF, if you are after a certain year (08, 09??) the ignition coils change design.

They'd be $35-50 price range each from mopar depending on the dealer or Amazon /eBay seller.

Used should be something like $10 a piece maybe more, maybe less, but I'd look for low miles if you go the rout.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it wouldn't go amiss replace them, but they might be ok.

Should be mopar 56028138AF, if you are after a certain year (08, 09??) the ignition coils change design.

They'd be $35-50 price range each from mopar depending on the dealer or Amazon /eBay seller.

Used should be something like $10 a piece maybe more, maybe less, but I'd look for low miles if you go the rout.

Thanks!

are there 2 different seals on the coil? Is there one higher up from the O-ring (called a boot) that blocks the top of the hole? I see it on pictures of the replacement ones but my 2002 doesnt have any. I need part numbers if there is a boot.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top one is just a boot that covers the hole at the top.
I don't think there's a replacement for that if I remember correctly.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the Idle Air Control Valve too

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passed NYS INSPECTION TODAY Yaaaaaaay! :pepper: :happy160: :winner_first_h4h: :emoticondancer:

Since the new OEM coils are so expensive to replace 6, Ive got a plan! What do you think?

I bought this 2002 Jeep KJ 6 months ago. Its has about 150k miles on it. It had work done to it but needed more maintenance. Im not sure of all its history of repairs. The coils still work except for the coil o-rings & missing coil boots. The o-rings are about $6 each and they dont sell the boots. I dont want to Fabricate boots. -with all that, I can buy cheap coils for $8 each just to strip them of their rubber parts. This will save me a lot of money and still keep OEM Coils in the car. the left over parts can be spares or sold cheap.

what do you think???

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had SMP coils in for a couple years and tried both Bosch platinums and NGK coppers and can't tell any difference, other than the platinums last longer.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Passed NYS INSPECTION TODAY Yaaaaaaay! :pepper: :happy160: :winner_first_h4h: :emoticondancer:

Since the new OEM coils are so expensive to replace 6, Ive got a plan! What do you think?

I bought this 2002 Jeep KJ 6 months ago. Its has about 150k miles on it. It had work done to it but needed more maintenance. Im not sure of all its history of repairs. The coils still work except for the coil o-rings & missing coil boots. The o-rings are about $6 each and they dont sell the boots. I dont want to Fabricate boots. -with all that, I can buy cheap coils for $8 each just to strip them of their rubber parts. This will save me a lot of money and still keep OEM Coils in the car. the left over parts can be spares or sold cheap.

what do you think???

Sounds good if you can get the parts off and on without damaging them.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the design is the same. They change through the years. The 2006 ignition coils are slightly taller than 2003 and the orings are different too.
I tryed to swap in a 2003 ignition coil to replace a Chinese coil it was different enough the orings did really work of course the orings were old as the jeep too.

I'd pull one coil to compare it side by side with the new to make sure the hardware you want to swap is similar enough.

Eventually I swapped all the coils for newer low mileage used.

Latest posts

Members online