Liberty Tow hook install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '02 Liberty Limited, wondering how I go about hooking up a tow strap for towing another jeep from the mud or whatever. Also what about adding tow hooks? how hard is it, is it possible?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not that hard as long as you got the hardware.....

For the rear, if you have a hitch, buy a receiver tow hook or shackle. Otherwise, the the Mopar rear tow hook.:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the OEM front towhooks. I say this because they have these u-bolts that come with them and you need them to feed them up into the frame. I installed mine on my 05 and it was not hard. Just a tight squeeze to get between the bumper and where they bolt up. The bumper is different on your 02 so I am not sure if it makes a difference in how difficult of an install it is for yours. For the rear I have a bar and shackle to put im my receiver hitch like wjkj said. They all work good as I have used both my front hooks and rear shackle. If you get a shackle I would suggest a Warn WLL 4.5 ton rating shackle. Seems to work good for me.

Dave

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible to just attach the strap to somewehre on the frame near the rear tires?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read of someone using the rear axle as a last resort but would NOT recommend it, too great a chance of messing up the axles, axle housings or several other items. As mentioned best bet for the rear is either the factory tow hook or a shackle insert if you have a receiver hitch; for the front the factory tow hooks are the least expensive option, there are a couple of aftermarket bumpers that would work or the very rare front receiver hitch if you can find one (they are no longer manufactured).

Here are the install instructions for the front and rear tow hooks just so you have an idea of what is involved.

Liberty front tow hooks
Liberty rear tow hook

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it possible to just attach the strap to somewehre on the frame near the rear tires?

The OEM tow hooks are not really that expensive and not that hard to install. They are cheaper in the end if you hook up a recovery strap anywhere elce and break something or cause a dangerous situation.

I have been pulled out of the mud with a strap hooked to one of my front tow hooks and also from my receiver shackle with no drama. I have also pulled another jeep out of a wicked stuck in a mud pit.

Also get a proper recovery strap with loops on the ends and NO METAL HOOKS. There are pic's of it on one of our runs over on LOST in the NE section under the thread titled Twin Arch Run 4/25/09. I don't know how to put the link up.

Just my opinion.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^^^Couldn't agree more.

Always use straps with out metal......:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the link Dave was referring to....:)

Click

Thanks, wjkj.

You will notice the silver KJ got stuck in that mud pit. That's Chris. He was lifted and locked at both ends running super swampers and still got it stuck. The mud was way worse than it looked in the pic's. Goes to show you that you can get anything stuck. We would still be there if not for proper tow hooks and straps.

We were all stuck at times that day and took turns pulling each other out............tow hooks, don't leave home without them.

Dave

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, wjkj.

You will notice the silver KJ got stuck in that mud pit. That's Chris. He was lifted and locked at both ends running super swampers and still got it stuck. The mud was way worse than it looked in the pic's. Goes to show you that you can get anything stuck. We would still be there if not for proper tow hooks and straps.

We were all stuck at times that day and took turns pulling each other out............tow hooks, don't leave home without them.

Dave

Sure!!!!:D

Anything can get stuck......except for my stock KJ.:p:D