Liberty Thermostat Location/Change ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warchela

Reaction score
Anyone know where the thermostat is located? Is it hard to change? I think mine is sticking. The one I bought at NAPA didn't come with a gasket.

I have a 02 Limited, tow package, offroad package.

Thanks for your help!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where the thermostat is located? Is it hard to change? I think mine is sticking. The one I bought at NAPA didn't come with a gasket.

I have a 02 Limited, tow package, offroad package.

Thanks for your help!
The t-stat is on the engine side of the lower raditor hose,you need to remove the hose and the black plastic housing.You need a new gasket,the gasket is a plastic ring that is not reuseable.A dealer will be able to get one if Napa can"t.

warchela

Reaction score
thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help. I have changed thermostats on other cars and could see the Libby's wasn't on the upper hose. I had minor surgery on Tuesday and I'm not suppose to do any type of straining, but this sounds easy enough.
I hope!

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good thing i saw this, im looking for a 180 begree thermostat for my liberty and almost took out my stock one just to look at it, i would have been out a gasket...

btw anyone know of any 180 degree thermostats that will work with a 2007 liberty sport?

I've got a full magnaflow catback exhaust and replaced the stock air filter with a k&n cone filter (that filter really beefs up the sound of the engine and exhaust plus its more responsive with a slight power increase)

2003KJ

Reaction score
NONE of the tstats come with gaskets...and this baffles me. Why can't they throw in the $0.30 gasket that you HAVE TO HAVE...screwy.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Havent had to replace mine yet, but all the others i've bought in the past have been under a buck.....sheesh.
It's not a gasket at all,it's a plastic ring that gets crushed when you tighten the t-stat housing down.You can get both the t-stat and gasket at Napa,pt#THM380915 is the gasket+t-stat for $22.29,pt#FPG35692 is the gasket only for $1.99.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That *****.

Any one know of a 180 degree thermostat for a liberty?
Been looking for one for 5 years myself,it will only cause problems unless you put the Jet stage II chip in.The PCM will go crazy and you'll be running way to rich (which the KJ does anyway) because the engine will never get to the optimum operating temp of 210-212 degrees.The Jet chip will correct that.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is exactly why i want a cooler thermostat i will be getting a jet II chip, but I want to have the thermostat ready.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, here I go reviving an old thread. :D

Just wanted to post up that I changed my hoses and t-stat this week, went to the dealer and got one with the gasket for $18 and change out the door (after tax). I had some issues with overheating earlier in the week and figured it was time to do maintenance before something let go. Took it for a drive this evening and the temp gauge is once more rock-steady at the halfway mark. (biggthumpup)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, here I go reviving an old thread. :D

Just wanted to post up that I changed my hoses and t-stat this week, went to the dealer and got one with the gasket for $18 and change out the door (after tax). I had some issues with overheating earlier in the week and figured it was time to do maintenance before something let go. Took it for a drive this evening and the temp gauge is once more rock-steady at the halfway mark. (biggthumpup)
Super easy to do on a KJ isn't it?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy to do on a KJ isn't it?
It was, ran into a couple of minor issues but that was mostly me not having my mind fully on the task at hand. Nothing serious, just 'D'oh' moments that wouldn't have happened if I had been more focused on the job. But it's done and now I should be good for a few more miles, just have to make sure and top off the fluid as the radiator 'burps'. :)

jeepzilla

Reaction score
I did a bit of looking up of part numbers a while back, an came across that an early 2000's ram with a 4.7l use the same model therm. as our 3.7l. So an aftermarket therm. for one of those should work. I got my info from Napa an Autozones web sites.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.