Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

LED Headlight Swap

This is a discussion on LED Headlight Swap within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Has anyone done an LED swap of the headlights and come up with something that is actually brighter and has ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LED Headlight Swap

Has anyone done an LED swap of the headlights and come up with something that is actually brighter and has a good beam pattern with the stock reflector?

I was looking at some videos of the AuxBeam A2 9007 and it would seem to fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xV10qauaeU

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headl...ustomerReviews

2007 Liberty Sport - Silver
Michelin LTX M/S 235/70-16
Stock
JBDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
Has anyone done an LED swap of the headlights and come up with something that is actually brighter and has a good beam pattern with the stock reflector?

I was looking at some videos of the AuxBeam A2 9007 and it would seem to fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xV10qauaeU

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headl...ustomerReviews
No no no, the headlight reflectors are not designed for any LED bulbs
Some have done it and say it works but it will scatter more light than you get where you want and tick off everyone on the road
No amount of youtube/ videos/ facebook posts change any of that at all
JasonJ likes this.
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

So is there no true "plug and play" LED bulbs for headlights/foglights/lightbars?

Does the color temp matter? Like, does 1,000 lumen Bright White beat the natural slightly yellow tint of stock bulbs?

Do people think they are better b/c of LED traits, like totally lighting up reflectors?
GitEmSteveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
No no no, the headlight reflectors are not designed for any LED bulbs
Some have done it and say it works but it will scatter more light than you get where you want and tick off everyone on the road
No amount of youtube/ videos/ facebook posts change any of that at all
Generally I agree however these do in fact appear to do what they say. The beam pattern nearly matches 9007 stock bulbs. LEDS have come a long way in just a few years when it comes headlight bulbs vs. the basically useless things with giant heatsinks or fans from five years ago. If you look at some of the full headlight replacements like the AnzoUSA 881036 they really do "shine" with a great beam pattern and brightness. That said though, they don't fit the Liberty and $300 for a set of headlights is a bit nuts.

2007 Liberty Sport - Silver
Michelin LTX M/S 235/70-16
Stock
JBDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well I can tell you from personal experience that no HID, LED or halogen works good on a KJ.
I’ve had all three and currently running LEDs and light is still scattered like HIDs without the glare, but even expensive halogens suck
Also, you have to angle them down so far to be of any use and not blind everyone else that they then become useless
Halogen reflectors are not designed for any bulb but halogens and WILL scatter light no matter how far they’ve come or evolved over the last few years
The only way to properly run any other bulb is to have projector headlights and they are uglier than **** on these
And no, there is no 7” projector/LED JK headlight housing that will work for a KJ

Good example: my Q50S is completely LED and the headlight has ONE small LED (in a proper housing) for the high beams and is brighter, without scattered light, than any of these “plug and play” bulbs you can buy with 2+ LEDs

My .02
tommudd and JasonJ like this.
31x10.5 Goodyear Authority's on TM5s, 20% Tint, Super 44

Last edited by jeeplib05; 03-17-2019 at 06:00 AM.
jeeplib05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
Generally I agree however these do in fact appear to do what they say. The beam pattern nearly matches 9007 stock bulbs. LEDS have come a long way in just a few years when it comes headlight bulbs vs. the basically useless things with giant heatsinks or fans from five years ago. If you look at some of the full headlight replacements like the AnzoUSA 881036 they really do "shine" with a great beam pattern and brightness. That said though, they don't fit the Liberty and $300 for a set of headlights is a bit nuts.
No matter how far " they have come"
You are still dealing with a housing that was NOT designed for any other kind of bulb except the ones it cam stock with

Hate coming at any of the butt holes that run them anyways , but generally my Vision X Light Cannons pretty much let them know that they are blinding everyone else on the road .
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

The chips in the more expensive bulbs are placed in the same locations as the filament in the oem bulbs. No issues
HIDs have hot spots and scatter. Those cheaper eBay brand ballasts flicker.
Jdm astar has a good line up for led
JBA UCAs
JBA .25" top plates and .25" rings
245-70-16 Cooper AT3s
Aceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm running the Auxbeam A2 9007 LED bulbs in my 2000 Durango and they were a big improvement over the Sylvania Xtravision bulbs that they replaced. I realize it isn't the same vehicle and I would have the same ones in my wifes 06 Liberty but she doesn't want them. I love them however and will be putting them in other vehicles as I can.
wycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Seems some of the posters here have all the answers, even if they're ones asking questions.

It's a miracle anyone posts anything at all anymore, since they are answering their own questions and debating those whom they've asked for an opinion.
tommudd and mrlavalamp like this.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well best you can do is post your “educated” opinion. Can’t change the world tho
JBA UCAs
JBA .25" top plates and .25" rings
245-70-16 Cooper AT3s
Aceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote