LED Headlight Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rachel_M

Reaction score
My headlights don't seem very bright and with winter approaching and knowing I do a lot of night driving, I'm thinking of replacing my headlights with LEDs.
I found Xtralight LED replacements for around $330. 'm wondering if anyone has these or knows anything about them before I purchase. Or if anyone has any suggestions to get some brighter headlights before winter hits.
I'm currently running Sylvania Xtravision. They are pretty yellow which makes them seem dimmer. The plastic has been cleaned and is clear, not yellowed at all.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be cautious. I was unaware of any full LED housing assembly that fit the KJ(doesn't mean there isn't any now but there wasn't when I looked in to it). Also, any time I click to read the product reviews on their page, since it shows it as 4.5 out of 5 stars, it gives me an error that it can't load any of the reviews to actually see.

lastly, The website/company itself has a pretty poor rating of 1.5 out of 5 from 112 reviews with many of those reviews claiming they had to file a fraud report to get their money back if you google reviews on them.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My headlights don't seem very bright and with winter approaching and knowing I do a lot of night driving, I'm thinking of replacing my headlights with LEDs.
I found Xtralight LED replacements for around $330. 'm wondering if anyone has these or knows anything about them before I purchase. Or if anyone has any suggestions to get some brighter headlights before winter hits.
I'm currently running Sylvania Xtravision. They are pretty yellow which makes them seem dimmer. The plastic has been cleaned and is clear, not yellowed at all.

Run Sylvania Silverstars or General Electrics Nighthawk Platinum bulbs (which is what I have) they're the best options out there for standard halogen headlights. LED's are pretty much just good for driving lights not to be relied upon for headlights. The amount of power needed and the amount of heat they produce needed to reach the actual ''throw'' can melt housings, not to mention I have not read anywhere that LED headlights are actually "Legal" so they might be more trouble than help.

Here's a pic of my Jeep with the Nighthawk Platinums during day light hours. Yes those are the low beams.

You must be registered for see images attach

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't run LED light over here in winter. I don't know about the weather in michigan but remember LED make no heat, so snow could pile up and block them. That's a issue we had here when they started to replace street light and traffic light with LED.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't run LED light over here in winter. I don't know about the weather in michigan but remember LED make no heat, so snow could pile up and block them. That's a issue we had here when they started to replace street light and traffic light with LED.

Yeah that was a huge issue here too. I remember reading the articles about it but as I said before, for the LED to reach the Lumens that would be required to reach Headlight levels of ''throw'' it would incredibly hot. the equivalent of running a halogen light bulb that is 100w off the low beam. Guaranteed to melt your housing.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that was a huge issue here too. I remember reading the articles about it but as I said before, for the LED to reach the Lumens that would be required to reach Headlight levels of ''throw'' it would incredibly hot. the equivalent of running a halogen light bulb that is 100w off the low beam. Guaranteed to melt your housing.
That is totally false.

Given the correct reflector a 3watt LED chip can "use" (aka "throw") more light then a 55watt low beam halogen bulb.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, what TJ said.

Last edited:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Cherokee's have LED headlights, and rather low mounted IMHO - wonder how thy will do?

OK - at least some where before release they stated LED HL - only seen a few after dark.

What about some of the BMW _ Audi that do have LED HL????

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Cherokee's have LED headlights, and rather low mounted IMHO - wonder how thy will do?

the new Cherokee has Hologen projectors. Even the top model Trailhawk has Hologen projectors.

I don't know, I don't think they are low mounted. Every new Cherokee I have seen, the headlights are mounted at the top corner, up with the top of the hood in basically a standard spot.

**EDIT** Wait a minute.. I've never noticed that before.. the slanted one is not the headlight is it? The actual headlight is under that? wow! I seriously never noticed that before lol

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the new Cherokees have LED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS. They have Halogen Projectors standard for regular headlights.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new Cherokee has Hologen projectors. Even the top model Trailhawk has Hologen projectors.

I don't know, I don't think they are low mounted. Every new Cherokee I have seen, the headlights are mounted at the top corner, up with the top of the hood in basically a standard spot.

**EDIT** Wait a minute.. I've never noticed that before.. the slanted one is not the headlight is it? The actual headlight is under that? wow! I seriously never noticed that before lol

You must be registered for see images

Pictured here.
[YT]8MW3KJUa8FQ[/YT]

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wet sanded, polished and reapplied UV coating to my housing's and replaced my headlight and fog light bulbs with OE bulbs and it is a huge difference from what they were, I am going to buy the Putco LED Conversion bulbs, My father in law has them on his 2012 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost and they are awesome and don't throw everywhere they are not supposed to and much bright, He runs a body shop and has access to suppliers so I will be getting a great deal on them, Might as well test them out!

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OK - at least some where before release they stated LED HL - only seen a few after dark.

What about some of the BMW _ Audi that do have LED HL????

Cherokee use halogen as it was stated previously and note that the section using led is flat on the surface unlike the headlight of the libby where snow could pile in the light hole. Same problem could occur on the driving light of the cherokee. Also pretty sure that if some use led only light and don't have anything to get the snow to melt, the day it will be the cause of an accident manufacturer will have to change everything just like the GM key fob problem we are seeing now. I don't know how it is in the US, but if I am not mistaken here LED/Laser driving light are permitted only certain circumstance.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED's are only legal for brake lights/turn signals, running lights, and day time running lights. Head lights are Halogen or HID as a factory option not after market. I think in technicality the same in truth applies for LED bulbs or tail light units in full unless its factory its not legal on LED's. Sort of like how a current US law prevents Audi's new Dynamic Headlights from being legal on the US spec models, that there must be separate circuits for low and high beam headlights.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED's are only legal for brake lights/turn signals, running lights, and day time running lights. Head lights are Halogen or HID as a factory option not after market. I think in technicality the same in truth applies for LED bulbs or tail light units in full unless its factory its not legal on LED's. Sort of like how a current US law prevents Audi's new Dynamic Headlights from being legal on the US spec models, that there must be separate circuits for low and high beam headlights.
They do make DOT approved LED headlights,just none are a direct fit for the KJ since it's a whole housing assembly.

Oh and sadly there are many legal HID high beam cars out there on the road,of course they came that way from the factory.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck-Lite 27270C-MP - Truck-Lite 7in Round LED Headlamp - Quadratec

Our most advanced headlamp upgrade features a solid state bulb-free design for a brighter, crisper and whiter light output that’s closer to the color temperature of actual daylight. Our lamps kits are worth every penny, and are guaranteed to deliver dramatic improvements of light projection distance and overall visibility. Lenses have a unique black out appearance during daylight hours bringing smart styling and function to an unprecedented level. The rugged construction starts with a die-cast aluminum housing and crystal clear polycarbonate lenses for optimum protection against impacts. The solid state electronics and powerful light emitting diodes are protected by water tight epoxy seals and advanced surge protection. These drop-in replacements take only minutes to install and require no modifications. The low and high beam light sources are powered by just two 1300 Lumen LEDs. The lamp’s top half illuminates the low beam and high beam is full illumination. When properly mounted, these lamps exceed DOT and federal motor vehicle safety standards and are approved for highway use in all 50 states.

Soooo.... :shrug: