The KJ is a "perdiddle" now!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Driver's side headlight burned out. Bulb only lasted 14 years. Going to warranty it. :happy175: Anyway, while I wait for Jeep to warranty it, what new set should I get?

I've been reading about the higher end ones, like the Sylvania Silverstars, zXe, Philips Extreme etc...I'd love more light output but I know that comes at the expense of bulb life. Some people have to replace them after a year...the KJ sees quite a bit of night driving. What's a bulb that does better than stock for illumination but I won't be replacing them every oil change?

Thanks!

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I’ll hear a hell storm for this but I was on the lookout for nice bulbs and came across these

https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Motor-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion/dp/B079KYVY38/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_pd_title

I figured with almost 4K reviews at 4.5/5 stars they couldn’t be too bad and they’re great
Very bright and easy to install. They’re as bright as HIDs without the light scatter and blinding people so it’s a win-win
Tried to use halogens again and couldn’t do it

Good luck

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact ones that jeeplib05 just linked, and I really like them, best bulbs I have used and the only way I could see improving on them would be to change the housing out for a projector. That would require a bit of fabrication and cobbling together as there are none mass produced for our vehicles (but retrofit kits are, just have to split the housing open to install them).

I have had them in for about 2 years now and no issues at all.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues with mine
The only mod I had to do was to cut the locking ring for the back of the headlight because I couldn’t get it to lock properly but once it’s locked in it doesn’t budge
It’s all one assembly when you receive them and very small profile unlike the HID style ballasts.

Last edited:

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all who "upgrade" headlights...
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, park your vehicle with headlights on, on a flat level parking lot, walk a hundred feet or so away, turn around and look at it. If you can't look at the headlights without being blinded, change back! That's what those coming at you on the road see.
You can also swap vehicles with a friend (if you have any:icon_razz:) and drive towards each other on a highway. Again, you will see what others you meet on the highway see.
Also remember to dim when following someone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am still using the PIAA bulbs, but...I think the coating is toasted, and yelowish they are turning.
The last bulb reviews I did not long ago, kinda pointed towards Sylvania Ultra's as brightest.
That being said color wise, there is a much more new pleasing bulb to be found in the ZXE's with very good intensity and reasonable light output.
I noticed the road signs really illuminate nicely with Xenon Charged ZXE, even in the rain.
I currently have the Zxe's in the sedan, and they are really nice & white & bright & not blinding.
Edit I just noticed they now have ZXE GOLD link: https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/products/headlights-and-fog-lights/silverstar-zxe-gold/index.jsp
I think the PIAA will last forever, but I wouldn't mind trying the ZXE's for the Jeep soon.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Phillips Extreme , ran them in the 04 for 3-4 years then pulled them and into the 03 for the last 3 or more years
They are ran a lot as well , many miles and hours on them

Latest posts

Members online