Jeep Wont Start. Need some help in a bad way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday driving home the battery light came on halfway home. I ran a scan in real time and the error code was P2503 (charging system voltage low).

Went to a friends place and when I left the light did not come back on and everything seemed to be functioning fine. Next day the battery light came on on my way to work. All of the sudden it turns off and the ac start blowing cold air (this is something it hasn't done for a while). Just jumped in the Jeep and tried to start it and it now will not start. Trapped in a parking garage need to get it home to work on it.

Can I take the battery home when I get a ride and charge it there somehow?

If I charge it outside the car can I then drive it home (about 10 miles) even if the alternator is bad (which is what I suspect)?

How would you guys deal with this? I would normally call roadside assistance but there is not a lot of clearance in the parking deck and I don't think the could get a tow in there.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would do what you said, take the battery home and charge it.
If the battery is still in good condition it should easily get you 10 miles as long as you are not using the A/C and don't use the headlights.
You will get an indication of the state of the battery when you charge it. If it does't pull many amps from the charger or charges very quickly then it may not have much capacity left. Depends on the charger of course as a small charger won't be able to supply much current anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the battery is less than 12 months old. I know there can be problems with new ones but i feel like I would have seen evidence of this before hand. I am going to try this.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are your wires. Get your volt meter out and measure the current at the battery post, at the connector, and then going into the wire. Also measure while started. Old connectors can cause a voltage drop. Had to cut some wire and put a new terminal on ours to get a good strong connection.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would also suspect the alternator first but would not rule out a bad battery.

Also definitely check that the battery terminals are clean and tight, the negative lead going to chassis is clean and tight and the engine grounding straps going to chassis are clean and tight both ends. The charging is generally controlled by the PCM (ECM in diesel) so while your battery is out of the vehicle being charged you need to re-plug the PCM connectors a few times to clean up any bad contact.

Once the battery is fitted check the voltage across it with ignition OFF...should be around 12.5 volts at least. Should not drop below about 10 volts while turning over and should be about 13.4 volts while running.

fatfendered39

Reaction score
replace the alternator and charge the battery. Let it sit for a few hours so the PC can relearn itself. After this should run and start fine. Mine did this in January. after first charging a battery it wouldn't stay running unless you kept the idle high. After letting it sit for a couple hours it's ran perfect ever since.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk