Are JBA UCA's as necessary as Marlin Gehman makes them sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlicata

Reaction score
My KJ has a 3" spacer lift currently, and I'm in the process of changing to a proper 3.25" Bilstein/OME lift. My question is, with 171,000 miles on the car, am I at any risk of UCA failure and in need of either new OEM UCA's or JBA UCA's?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ has a 3" spacer lift currently, and I'm in the process of changing to a proper 3.25" Bilstein/OME lift. My question is, with 171,000 miles on the car, am I at any risk of UCA failure and in need of either new OEM UCA's or JBA UCA's?

Yes and would always highly recommend JBA UCA's with any lifted KJ/KK.

A must have,almost bordering on required.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially at that lift height you need them. Its not failure, but having all,the geometry proper. Or close too. Without lengthening them and changing the ball joint angle. You will chew through ball joints on the factory length arms. And they will hit the coils at full drop

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same lift in both pictures. 3.75 inches of lift. These were taken with wheels on the ground. 3 inches is max with factory UCAs.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same question, dlicata.
After blowing through my second set of OEM ball joints, I went with JBA and never looked back. I think the JBA control arms are actually cheaper than OEM replacements too.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running the stock UCA's with my lifted Jeep. The stock ones perished quite quickly with the ball joint boot tearing and the arm itself rubbing on the coil spring. The JBA arms are quite pricey, but worth it if lifted.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

YES ON THE JBA's

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the lifted JBA's is the brake lines an issue? Am ordering JBA's myself today.....
Jim
Front lines will be fine, you need to drop driver side rear brake bracket if you lift

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes to the jba uca. Don't be ghetto.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may seem like you can get away without brake braked drop but if you flex out the rear fully frequently you're putting the rubber line under extreme stress when left side droops fully

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It may seem like you can get away without brake braked drop but if you flex out the rear fully frequently you're putting the rubber line under extreme stress when left side droops fully

Fully flexed out several times and never an issue
Of course did a lot of measuring/ adjusting/ adding little extras to get the most amount of flex, but not over exceeding the amount where it would stretch out the brake line

Last edited:

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need it also on '02-'05's.

Ripped mine apart when I first lifted the KJ.

I have the JBA SS brake line kit sitting in the basement, waiting for my rear shoes to reach the end of their life, then doing a brake job. The rear brake line gets pretty taught when I'm working on the rear, and it's fully drooped out. Sketched me out first time I saw it.

What was it like losing your brakes on the trail? What comes to mind for me is the Bronco careening down Lions Back in Moab, a true nightmare.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully flexed out several times and never an issue
Of course did a lot of measuring/ adjusting/ adding little extras to get the most amount of flex, but not over exceeding the amount where it would stretch out the brake line

I would like to confirm this. My 03 has no issues “so far” but I’m lifting the 03 next week. Is the brake line going to be an issue or is that for the later years like stated before ?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.