Inition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiner.tim

Reaction score
Recently I found out I can remove my ignition key while my 02 Liberty is running. There is a convenience to leaving the jeep running and being able to lock the doors with it running. Big question, is there any long term damage being done?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing with my key I use everyday but if I use the spare key I can't pull it out. I just assumed the key was worn. Personally I don't think it will hurt anything as I've taken mine out while driving many of times and have had nothing happen.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't the USA KJ models have a steering lock which locks the wheel once the key is removed? I would be very concerned about leaving my Jeep running while I am not there...crime is pretty bad here...I also would not drive without the key firmly in place in case the steering locks up.

The keys and tumblers do wear out after a while....a puff of dry graphite spray is supposed to lubricate the tumblers...any oil attracts dust!

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't the USA KJ models have a steering lock which locks the wheel once the key is removed? I would be very concerned about leaving my Jeep running while I am not there...crime is pretty bad here...I also would not drive without the key firmly in place in case the steering locks up.

The keys and tumblers do wear out after a while....a puff of dry graphite spray is supposed to lubricate the tumblers...any oil attracts dust!

It's not related to the key itself but the ignition switch. If the switch is on (vehicle running) it doesn't know any better if the key is in there. It's not going to do any damage and you obviously don't have a SKIM key. Fix here is a new switch keyed to your key.