Improving mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrp79

Reaction score
03 2wd and getting about 13mpg. Would a cold air intake and gutting the cats and a high flow muffler help mpg

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No. Those will kill MPG. Best thing to do is make sure it has new spark plugs (NGK Copper cores), clean TB, no codes, fresh diff fluid (could go with a lighter weight like 75w90 since I doubt you're wheeling it being 2WD), make sure the trans fluid is clean, make sure the tstat is working right etc. Make sure the tires have the right pressure in them. I'd also make sure you don't have sticking brake calipers or the ebrake hanging up.
Believe it or not, I (and many others) get better MPG by not babying them and driving like an oldie heading to Golden Corral for the 3:00 dinner special. I mean, don't abuse the thing, but the peak power band is above 3k RPM, so hitting 3-4K often is healthy.

In any case, these aren't great for gas mileage but 13 is a bit low for a stock 2wd. I get 13 and that's up here in WI, all in town with the winch, skids, rock rails, bigger tires, using 4WD often...you should be able to get 16-17 in town pretty easily.

wlfpck

Reaction score
I thought intake was "supposed" to give you better mpg. Though I doubt it will do anything in actuality.

Apparently upgraded fuel injectors can help. Don't know if anyone here has tested them.

Remove heavy things in the car if you have stuff in there. More weight you remove the better.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting horrible mpg too with all my maintenance up to date
I can’t see how the factory rated these things soo high 19/21
I’m hoping it’s the winter gas / sub zero temps

jrp79

Reaction score
I got new ngk copper plugs.tires i put up to 36 psi. I have a code for the rear o2 but that shouldnt effect mpg(so i been told). It does have 218k but runs great with no skipping since i changed the plugs. Trans fluid still looks red and doesnt smell burnt and it shifts fine.i did just have to replace both front upper and lower ball joints. Havent really got a chance to check mpg since then.maybe it will got up

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m getting horrible mpg too with all my maintenance up to date
I can’t see how the factory rated these things soo high 19/21
I’m hoping it’s the winter gas / sub zero temps
Ya they did make changes to reflect "more real world" fuel estimates after 2010 aprox.
My sticker was 20 city/28hwy ! Must have been with a 60mph tail wind LOL !
61042[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

ha ha...& our gas prices are now $7/gallon...eek!
The Kj's are driving bricks that are "Trail Rated" & heavy. Here is my rating!

61044[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• lYu2i6p.jpg
    lYu2i6p.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • vsDov4I.jpg
    vsDov4I.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0

jrp79

Reaction score
03 dodge ram quad cab with the same engine and 1000 lbs more rated at 15-20. My 03 2wd auto is rated at 17-21.
Is it the engine, trans, rear end gears or weight that makes these jeeps horrible on gas

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Combination of all the above^
1-Lack of aerodynamics, it is a brick and taller.
2-weight 2 tons plus.
3-engine, not as efficient as more modern designs.
4- Auto-42rle, not the sharpest pencil on the block, not like having 5 or 6 speeds, manual trans will do better.
5-Re-gearing the rear diff can add 4-5mpg, IDK what gears are in the 2WD models tho.
-custom aluminum driveshaft would remove some weight and also add power! but $$

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus"winter gas" we get ***** this time of year giving you extra bad gas mileage and I never shut mine down with below zero temps at night and single diget daytime highs. Temps are going up though and it was 22 degrees today (snowed all day so I was in 4wd) so I still did a lot of ideling with the heater on. Got 9 mpg on the EVIC with all the ideling and heater and fan running.

Can't wait for summer and 18-19 mpg on the highway with the better "summer gas blend".

I don't complain though since I am lifted and armored with bigger tires and those things alone lost me mpg's from when I was "stock".

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
03 2wd and getting about 13mpg. Would a cold air intake and gutting the cats and a high flow muffler help mpg

Meant to also say, look at your air intake in the top of the grill......you already have a good "cold forced air intake" right from the factory.

Dave

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meant to also say, look at your air intake in the top of the grill......you already have a good "cold forced air intake" right from the factory.

Dave

I bought a cheap "Cold Air" intake. I noticed a drastic decrease in mileage almost right away, I was cruising at 15 and hadn't reset for a long time.

Popped in the CAI, and reset the MPG right away.

I left it in 2 weeks, by the end of 2 weeks I was having a hard time keeping it above 13 mpg. I had to drive SOOO careful and just go very easy off of every stop.

Took the CAI off, reset again, and kept my better driving habits for as long as I could, I was at 16.1 this morning but some stop and go traffic killed that, and I was doing so well too.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What revs is the engine typically running? Ours pulls in best mpgs when kept in 2500-3000rpm range. You may have to shift yours manually to spin that. I put in a more free-flowing muffler... it revs easier... certainly flows better than a rusted/collapsed stock muffler.

Ya they did make changes to reflect "more real world" fuel estimates after 2010 aprox.
My sticker was 20 city/28hwy ! Must have been with a 60mph tail wind LOL !

You do realize Canadian MPGs are calculated with a 4.55L/gallon right?

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I still did a lot of idling with the heater on. Got 9 mpg on the EVIC with all the idling and heater and fan running....
That's what murders my mileage in the winter. Even with a modest 3-4" snowfall, it will take me ten minutes to get things cleaned off before I am ready to drive anywhere. The engine is on the whole time so I am not freezing by the time I can finally drive off. If it is sleet and/or ice, might be even longer.

Then if I have a passenger and need to stop anywhere just to run into a store or something it will be left on so they don't freeze. Bad roads and it might mean that I'm only doing 25mph on a 35-45mph road. I'd rather sacrifice the mileage and buy more gas than pay for a tow out of a ditch. (Though that would likely be more due to someone else's stupidity than me just sliding off the road.)