Ignition switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Hey all. Ive had this little problem with my 04 renegade. I dont have any power when key is off the ignition. Only power seats work. No exterior lights no interior lights or anything. When key is turned all the way up (but i dont start the car) It works fine and when the key is all the way down (when you cant remove the key but the radio works and lights i guess) it seems to work fine. Called dealership and they said they had the same problem with a grand cherokee not so long ago and the problem was the ignition switch. Does that make sense to any of you? Ìt's annoying because i cant use my remotes to lock/unlock i have to put the key in the ignition to use the remotes..,

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Ive had this little problem with my 04 renegade. I dont have any power when key is off the ignition. Only power seats work. No exterior lights no interior lights or anything. When key is turned all the way up (but i dont start the car) It works fine and when the key is all the way down (when you cant remove the key but the radio works and lights i guess) it seems to work fine. Called dealership and they said they had the same problem with a grand cherokee not so long ago and the problem was the ignition switch. Does that make sense to any of you? Ìt's annoying because i cant use my remotes to lock/unlock i have to put the key in the ignition to use the remotes..,

Have a look at this link....especially look at the diagram I posted there showing the leads going into the switch and coming out again. You need to remove the switch and using a meter measure the outputs while turning the switch using a flat screwdriver...careful you do not start the engine.If the voltages are going through OK then the switch is fine and you will need to trace the voltages further down the line.

While you have the switch off check that the actuator pin that rotates the switch is in good condition...this rectangular pin has a habit of snapping!

You get the switch off by first removing the plastic covers that cover the steering column top and bottom....need a male Torx bit size 20 I think.

Then remove the switch by removing the size 10 Torx screw...newer models have a security Torx in this postion ie. you need a male Torx bit with a hole down the centre.

That circuit diagram is for the 2002/3 models but should be valid for your Jeep.

Voltage coming into ignition switch question. - JeepForum.com

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Ok it's officially not the ignition switch ... just figured out that my brake lights an horn work too. Just wondering when you guyz remove the key off the ignition and you turn the lights switch do the lights turn on or nothing happen?

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Could it be the healight switch... ? Although it works fine when car is on i don't know if it could be the reason why i have no interior lights at all (dome lights, mirror lights, underdash) Probably not my related to my power locks problem...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it's officially not the ignition switch ... just figured out that my brake lights an horn work too. Just wondering when you guyz remove the key off the ignition and you turn the lights switch do the lights turn on or nothing happen?

Why do you say it is officially not the ignition switch?

Let us recap here:

Your door locks do not work with the remote fob when ignition is off?

Your interior lights...the ones by the rear-view mirror and the one in the load bay do not work...ever?

When you try turn the headlights on with ignition off....nothing happens?

Anything else?:icon_surprised:

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Why do you say it is officially not the ignition switch?

Let us recap here:

Your door locks do not work with the remote fob when ignition is off?

Your interior lights...the ones by the rear-view mirror and the one in the load bay do not work...ever?

When you try turn the headlights on with ignition off....nothing happens?

Anything else?:icon_surprised:

Its not the ignition switchbecause i swapped it with a brand new one hehe. Thats a good recap yes! Power locks wont work at all when the ignition is off, remote or the door button.

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Is there any kind of relay for the power locks? I dont know if this could be my problem?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any kind of relay for the power locks? I dont know if this could be my problem?

Check fuse 32 on the Junction Block which is the interior fuse panel.

If you remove this fuse panel, the reverse side has a whole bunch of relays.

There are three by three rows of small relays.....the left row only has a relay in the upper position...two lower positions are blank...this is the rear-fog relay.

The center row has the park relay on top, horn relay center and front fog relay on bottom if front fogs are fitted. The right side row...most central in the junction block...has three relays. Top relay is Driver door unlock relay, middle relay is Passenger door unlock relay and lower relay is Door lock relay.

Try swapping these last three relays around with the horn relay and the fog relays or the High Beam relay which is on the side where the fuses are located. there is also a module about the size of a pack of ciggaretes which plugs onto the Junction block which is for the Remote Access key fob...try re-plugging this module.

This applies to the 2003 KJs and should be more or less OK for your 2004 renegade.:icon_biggrin:

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Thanks that gives me somewhere to start! So much little problems that need to be fixed :( Do you think that my interior lights never working can be caused by dimmer\light switch?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that gives me somewhere to start! So much little problems that need to be fixed :( Do you think that my interior lights never working can be caused by dimmer\light switch?

Could be the dimmer switch on the left stalk...where you turn the lights on.

If you press on the plastic cover of the dome light or the light in the load bay do the lights come on?

Reneg4de

Reaction score
It does dim the lights in the dash though...

I was checking my fuses (again!) and noticed theres an empty spot on the uper left part of the box. Checked in my owners manual and it says something about High Beam. Here's a pic of my fuse box and the owners manual.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kind of tired of fixing stuff decided to install 6000K HID :)

Id like too put some in my light bar but i dont know if theres enough space for the wires and ballast...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does dim the lights in the dash though...

I was checking my fuses (again!) and noticed theres an empty spot on the uper left part of the box. Checked in my owners manual and it says something about High Beam. Here's a pic of my fuse box and the owners manual.

Kind of tired of fixing stuff decided to install 6000K HID :)

Id like too put some in my light bar but i dont know if theres enough space for the wires and ballast...

That empty slot should have a relay in there for the high beam to work:shrug:

Reneg4de

Reaction score
That is really weird because my high beams work without any noticeable problem...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the day-time running lights so you don't need a high beam relay. Pretty sure the day time running lights use the high beams. Never seen a day time running light relay. Got some nice heat sinks on it.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the Daytime running light relay takes over the function of the High Beam relay...I did not notice it there hiding behind the large heatsink.!!

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dtrl

Daytime Running Lights turn on the high beams at a reduced voltage. It takes a different relay than the high beam (got mine from RockAuto) and unless you live in a country that requires them, you need to get the country code changed (mine was changed from US to Canada).
We have a lot of roads up here that require headlights on and the DTRL satisfies that requirement. Plus at reduced voltage, the high beam filament last much longer even though its on all the time Have not had to change out a headlight bulb since I made the change.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daytime Running Lights turn on the high beams at a reduced voltage. It takes a different relay than the high beam (got mine from RockAuto) and unless you live in a country that requires them, you need to get the country code changed (mine was changed from US to Canada).
We have a lot of roads up here that require headlights on and the DTRL satisfies that requirement. Plus at reduced voltage, the high beam filament last much longer even though its on all the time Have not had to change out a headlight bulb since I made the change.

Yeah they obviously drop the voltage over a large resistor built into the relay...hence the large heat sink...primitive but simple way of dropping voltage.

Reneg4de

Reaction score
Problem solved. It was Fuse 34 in the upper fuse holder thingr. Apparently everything goes through this fuse. Let see if it blows again. Hopefully not, thanks for your help guyz!

Last edited: