Ignition coil connector/plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malicesin

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L and was changing out my ignition coils because they are the original ones and I'm dealing with p0306 right now. When I got to cylinder 6, I noticed that the plug that goes to the coil didn't have the same resistance or feeling as the other ones, it feels much more loose compared to the other ones. It still locks on to the ignition coil and I can't remove it without engaging the removal mechanism. When locked on, I can move the connector a little. Is this a cause for concern? Also, is it best to disconnect the battery when changing out the ignition coils? I ran out of daylight but I hope the new coil makes my p0306 go away.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never removed the battery cables when disconnecting the coils and no problems. Seems like the connector should be tight. I would think this could cause a misfire if the connection is flaky. I think you can buy just the connectors somewhere. maybe you can de-pin the current one and swap in a new one?

Malicesin

Reaction score
I never removed the battery cables when disconnecting the coils and no problems. Seems like the connector should be tight. I would think this could cause a misfire if the connection is flaky. I think you can buy just the connectors somewhere. maybe you can de-pin the current one and swap in a new one?

Ya I wasn't sure if I have to get the plug already pinned and solider in but snipping the wire or your suggested method. Is it possible to pull the 2 wires out from the connector?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure since I haven't looked closely at mine in a while. I know they sell a pick set for depinning terminals like these. I think they call it a terminal extraction tool. I would really want to go that route instead of cutting and soldering or splicing and heat shrinking. Maybe someone more electrically inclined will chime in soon.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one way to see if it is a connector issue is to move the coil to another spark plug. if it does not follow, it could be it.

Might be able to get away without special tools.
Might be able to squeeze a needle to lift the locking tab of the pin up. YouTube it to get an idea of what I m talking about.

The connector moving a little is very subjective.

Disconnecting the battery is YMMV but I do disconnect the battery to be safe than sorry so I don't accidentally short anything else. Should be fine with the coils without disconnecting the battery.

You can buy replacement connectors and splice it in as well.

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

Last edited:

Malicesin

Reaction score
What is the difference between p0306 and p0306 (p). the only difference that I can tell is that p0306 will cause the CEL to turn on and the p0306 (p) is a pending code but with no CEL. What conditions differentiate the 2 codes?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pending code means it needs to occur in two or so consecutive drive cycles before it will activate a CEL.

Malicesin

Reaction score
So today I changed the ignition coil and checked the plug on cylinder #6 and the plug was perfect. Put it all back together and the rough idle is gone. I forgot how smooth the idle was. I drove it around pretty hard as it's been a few weeks with the p0306 and my thinking was the cylinder needed some TLC. I made sure to turn the engine off and on during my test drive and I didn't get the CEL BUT I did get p0306 (p) with no CEL. I'll let just continue driving as normal to see if it actually decided to turn on the CEL again but a little stumped as to why I would be getting a pending code, any ideas?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you cleared the codes. Did the pending code clear? I'd just drive it and see if the CEL comes back. If you have a noticeable improvement in idle and drive-ability I'd be patient. BTW when was the last time you changed the spark plugs? Did you pull #6 and see if it was fouled from not firing right?

Malicesin

Reaction score
I'm assuming you cleared the codes. Did the pending code clear? I'd just drive it and see if the CEL comes back. If you have a noticeable improvement in idle and drive-ability I'd be patient. BTW when was the last time you changed the spark plugs? Did you pull #6 and see if it was fouled from not firing right?

Yeah I cleared the codes with my cheap scanner tool and the pending code came back on like my 4th drive today (I reset it and it hasn't shown back up...yet). The idle is much more smooth now and I just changed the plugs about 5k miles ago. The pending code has popped back up twice today with no CEL but my scan tool showed it. I've done about 10 drive cycles today (engine off and on) and it's not showing up everytime. I'm just impatience and need to give it some time I guess. I just like my vehicle running perfect.