I have an factory alarm ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owners manual was not much help, my question concerns the factory alarm, before getting the Lib I had an 02 Durango with a factory alarm, inserting the key in the drivers door and unlocking unlocked the drivers door and turned off the alarm, on the Lib if I try the same thing the door unlocks and does not turn off the alarm, open the door and the horn sounds, my question is what happens if by some chance the key fob fails, how do I get in the Lib and start it with the alarm blaring away. The more I read the owners manual the more I find inconsistencies and just a general lack of info that I consider important.

Thanks
Bob

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just start the Jeep. It will then reset.
The key FOB is two parts.
One is the remote, battery powered. The other is the Sentry anti-theft, this is passive. Unless the FOB is phisly damage it will allow you to start the Jeep.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thas interesting, hopefully someone with an 05 will add to this, I know that all the previous Chrysler vehicles that I have owned worked with the key disarming

Bob

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if the fob-key fails, you won't be able to get in without setting off the alarm. So hopefully when it fails it's while you're driving, so that you won't be able to lock the jeep using the fob.

To disarm the alarm when it's already blaring, try starting the car with the fob. Since it's a sentry key, I think that's tied into the same security system. I *believe* the sentry key is a passive RF device, so that even if the battery in it is dead, the jeep will still start with it, and hopefully disable the alarm (otherwise you'll have an irritating beeping drive to the dealership for a new battery).

If there's anything I can check or if you want to read through the FSM, PM me, I have an 05 and the service manual.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I found in the 05 FSM which I just received today, looks like the key turned to the on position will disarm the system

Bob

DISARMING
For vehicles built for the North American market,
passive disarming of the VTA occurs by turning the
ignition switch to the On position using a valid Sentry
Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) key. Active disarming
of the VTA for any market occurs when the
vehicle is unlocked by depressing the “Unlock” button
of the RKE transmitter. Once the alarm has been
activated, either disarming method will also deactivate
the alarm. Depressing the “Panic” button (if
equipped) on the RKE transmitter will not disarm
the VTA.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having this issue right now. Key fob quit working as I was leaving a local business. Had to unlock with the key, horn starts blaring and had to start the Jeep to get it to stop. Thinking my fob's battery was dead, I went home and grabbed the spare key, (the wifes) and same thing. So in a nutshell looks like the keyless entry just died. The alarm still works, and after checking all fuses etc, no solution. Messed with it again and found if I hold the fob near the floor of the drivers side, it will work sometimes but it's sporadic at best. BCM issues? I don't know but this does not work so well when I have to set off the alarm every time I want to drive the Libby. Anyone else have any ideas?

EDIT**

Come to think of it , this Monday the Fuel gauge did not respond after filling up the tank and the washer pump didn't work. Hmmmm not getting the warm fuzzies.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And of course I am just out of my extended warranty. 60k and I just hit 61k. WooHoo. Anyone priced a BCM?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice old thread.........I wouldn't just run out and get a bcm. What I would do is replace both key fob batteries for the heck of it. You have been using them a couple of years anyway, and they are cheap, so what the heck.

Then test your battery and make sure it is taking and holding a charge off the alternator. It should hold about 12.4 volts or so minimum. When a battery starts to go, sometimes you will have funny electrical malfunctions before it craps out completely and won't start the jeep.

Dave

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. I know, but no one can accuse me of not searching! ha ha. I will try that, the one fob almost never gets used so I figured , what is the chance of both going bad the same day? I will check the battery, didn't think about the low voltage causing issues like that.

Latest posts

Members online