I have to ask... why HOAT and not reg. antifreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you are thinking the same thing....
I'm the kind of guy that needs to make sense of things physical.:freak3:
Thanks for the replies.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to find actual ethylene glycol is almost impossible these days and due to the 3.7(or any engine in the KJ) uses a aluminum head on a iron block so you'd have to change the coolant once a year or the coolant turns to acid.Ethylene glycol is high silicate based.

Your cooling system is designed for a silicate based coolant and HOAT coolant is silicate based but can last longer with the different metals your engine is made out off before you need to change it due to acidity levels.

OAT coolant(any "universal","all makes/models",and dexacool) is silicate free and likes to eat some forms of plastic(google dexacool and 3.1/3.4 GM V6's),so happens the water pump impeller on the KJ's water pump is the same plastic that does not agree with OAT coolants.You also can not mix OAT coolants and HOAT coolants,cancels out there protective additives when done so.

Just use the correct coolant.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that is some good information there Troy.
Even though the HOAT container states good for 5 years or 100k what would you recommend ? Every 2-3 years or how many miles before flushing again? THX.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that is some good information there Troy.
Even though the HOAT container states good for 5 years or 100k what would you recommend ? Every 2-3 years or how many miles before flushing again? THX.
Yeah about every 3 years or about 75k is good so your present coolant is still in it's peak performance range and not at the end of it's life when it maybe to late for damage.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live, the only source of HOAT coolant is the dealership. $50 a bottle. Ouch.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a question about coolant...
I purchased my KJ from a very reputable dealer. The kind that changes ALL fluids before offering the Jeep for sale. My coolant is green. I know that there are a few companies that have HOAT in a green color, or so I'm told.
Change it to red HOAT or go with what I got.

43,000 since purchase BTW.
:shrug:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call the dealer service dept and ask if thay know what HOAT is. A lot of non mopar dealers dont know so if you call them and thay dont know you for sure have your answer. But Im With ry n Jen with knowing for sure as I haven't seen or heard of a green HOAT not to say there may be one out there but I kinda dought it.

Last edited:

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be on the safe side, I plan on switching out to the Mopar HOAT anyway as suggested. If I can find out about this "green HOAT" I fill in. This was a European dealer, and I think what I had read was that The green stuff was Euro. I check it out.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a Tool talking about the different colors and types of coolants. If you scroll down a bit HOAT is described as usually yellow.

I'm just going to the dealer, screw all the colors and crap. "at this point I just want peace of mind"

http://www.farrelloil.com/documents/cooling.pdf

""HOAT" (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) antifreeze is usually dyed yellow but may also
be dyed orange or green. HOAT coolants are currently used by Ford, Chrysler,
Mercedes, BMW and Volvo. The additive package in a HOAT formula coolant also
contains silicates for added aluminum protection. Most of the antifreezes in this category
also meet the European "G-O5" specification for hybrid extended life coolant. The service
life for HOAT is also five years or 150,000 miles."

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify: G05 coolant IS ethylene glycol based. The only alternative is propylene glycol, which is only used in a very few brands. HOAT refers to the additive package (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology), not the base fluid.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify: G05 coolant IS ethylene glycol based. The only alternative is propylene glycol, which is only used in a very few brands. HOAT refers to the additive package (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology), not the base fluid.

so all HOAT is ethylene glycol based, but not all ethylene glycol based coolants are HOAT?

HOAT is proving VERY difficult to find here, but I've found a store with "20% concentrate monoethylene glycol based product "