How is this for strange??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I turn my fan up to 3 or 4, the radios shuts off and won't work. If you turn the fan back to 2 or lower, it turns turns the radio back on. So is my jeep haunted or does someone know what could be wrong?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you just need to pick music or airflow. :D

Ground issue possibly? I bet they're grounded to the same ground. Might just need to be cleaned up.

kengel78

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the switch is used for the ground path as alluded to earlier and replacing the fan switch will restore a constant ground (or 12v source?) to the radio. I’d bet on the ground being interrupted. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It's Haunted !
60424[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

:gr_grin:

Attachments

• coZxFK1.jpg
    coZxFK1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the switch is used for the ground path as alluded to earlier and replacing the fan switch will restore a constant ground (or 12v source?) to the radio. I’d bet on the ground being interrupted. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the gauges quit working! What is going on! I’m calling ghostbusters!

I guess I’ll replace the fan switch this weekend and see if that will help. Is it possible that even the gauges are on the same ground? The lights on the gauges do work, just no gauges.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man that is weird. Check billwill 's posts for a link to wiring diagrams. I know my XJ has a separate ground for gauges but I don't know about the KJ.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the 2002 KJ uses only a PCI bus which most code readers will not be able to read so do not plug any code reader in to the communication port as it will only make matters worse.

When you have so many problems it is best to start with the easiest problem ie. the blower motor not working....no Bus involved here!

Download the 2002 KJ Service manual and go to section 8W wiring diagrams. The index will point you to the Blower motor so use a cheap digital multimeter to diagnose the problem. The Blower uses grounds G111 and G200....G200 is also used by the radio.
The index will tell you where to find the grounds.

Once you have fixed the blower check out the radio for good grounds and no blown fuses..some radios have their own fuse mounted on the rear of the radio or just inside.
Unfortunately the radio also uses the PCI bus so the fun begins here.

The cluster also uses the PCI bus. You may have to unplug the PCI bus from the radio to see if the cluster works and vice versa...the bus goes all over the place and one component holding it up can cause multiple problems.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the 2002 KJ uses only a PCI bus which most code readers will not be able to read so do not plug any code reader in to the communication port as it will only make matters worse.

Are you referring to the standard ODBII port as the communications port or is there another, different port that you are referring to that something like the DRBIII scan tool would plug into?

...because I have an BAFX ODBII Bluetooth ScanTool that I use on a regular basis without issue. In combination with the Torque App on Android I can read error codes just fine, and reset at will if I so choose - all without making anything worse.