How To: Front Intermdiate Axle Shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone posted a how to on replacing the front intermediate shaft? I have accumulated most of the parts needed and I have a Haynes manual to help. But it would be nice to hear from someone who actually did the tear down themselves

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you need to know? Pretty straight forward
Pull the spring/shock out like you're doing a lift to get it out of the road, unbolt CV from spindle,
of course have to unbolt the upper and lower ball joints, brake caliper, tie rod end, sway bar etc
but unbolt the CV, remove spindle and pull the CV/ intermediate shaft out, then replace everything. Pretty simple, doesn't take long at all. I've only done 4 so far...

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the intermed shaft just pulls out of the housing/assy? nothing to it? I know i need the bearing press and shaft puller, but other than that, its plug and chug?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the intermed shaft just pulls out of the housing/assy? nothing to it? I know i need the bearing press and shaft puller, but other than that, its plug and chug?
yes but in 99% of the cases the intermediate shaft is nicely frozen in the passenger inner CV cup.That is where the fun begins if it's rusted in there real good.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the circlip on the carrier end of my intermediate shaft stay in the diff when I pulled mine out. Not rusted to the inner cup though, mine was rounded off. I'd say there was about a 30% reduction in cross-section from the outside edge of the splines to the inside edge. Check the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1034 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1034 (Medium).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 149

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I never used a bearing press or a shaft puller

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never used a bearing press or a shaft puller

well tommudd....u must be the most amazing mechanic on the face of this great big earth, with hands made of cold steal and 10w30 (synthetic of course) running thru your polyurethane coated veins...lol. IDK, just goin by what the Haynes book says to do. I am tryin to get a feel for the job before i tear the beast apart.

I ordered the bearings and seals from mopar,,, flipping bearing they sent, which mind you is a direct OEM replacement, is PLASTIC!!!!!! do i stick with it or search for a new one?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never had to use anything special to disassemble mine either. Pull it straight out of the housing. And mind your axle seals - I have destroyed one of those on reinstall before. :eek:

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys...keep any pointers coming. i am offically starting the rebuild and lift kit install next thursday. gettin pretty excited

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Take pics if possible,please,you could help with a good "How To".

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Noise at first,would think that it would quit pulling after a while.