How Do I Reset The Airbag Light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckericlewis

Reaction score
I took my driver's side seat out (which I have done before with no problems) and put it back in and now my airbag light comes on and won't shut off. After the car is started it comes on with that nice little chime sound. I've also noticed that if I take my seatbelt off the seatbelt light doesn't come on. I know the seatbelt system is integrated with the airbag system, but I can figure out what I did. I've checked to see if I damaged the seatbelt sensor and checked to make sure it's plugged in tight, but everything seems good. What did I do? Help!!! That stupid light is driving me nuts!!!! ](*,)

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were you working on when you removed the seat?

Well, I'm no expert (I'm sure others will have a better explanation or theory), but when I was installing my amp I noticed there were lots of tiny, bundled wires running around the vicinity of the seat under the carpeting (dunno what most of them are)...could something have gotten sandwiched when you mounted your seat back on (because I almost did that)?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buckericlewis said:
I took my driver's side seat out (which I have done before with no problems) and put it back in and now my airbag light comes on and won't shut off. After the car is started it comes on with that nice little chime sound. I've also noticed that if I take my seatbelt off the seatbelt light doesn't come on. I know the seatbelt system is integrated with the airbag system, but I can figure out what I did. I've checked to see if I damaged the seatbelt sensor and checked to make sure it's plugged in tight, but everything seems good. What did I do? Help!!! That stupid light is driving me nuts!!!! ](*,)

Try disconnecting you battery for about 30 minutes.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Try unplugging the seat belt wire harness under the seat and plugging it back together... It sounds like this point of connection isn't taking place.

Bennett

Jdan

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Air Bag light on and doesn't make a difference if seatbelt is latched or not. No seatbelt light when unlatched.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe your "Jeep" is fighting back cause you called it a "Car"...
Always disconnect your battery when pulling seat or major connectors, or doing any electrical work. Check fuse good idea!
You may not have a proper connection, or dust or something in connectors.
With batt disconnected, with under seat connectors, inspect/ electrical contact cleaner/compressed air/ re-connect, re-attach battery cables.
If light still on, to tun that air bag light off, you're going to need a dealer, or shop with a pro snap on scanner/ further diagnose.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try unplugging the seat belt wire harness under the seat and plugging it back together... It sounds like this point of connection isn't taking place.

Bennett

I concur. The vehicle should see this happening regardless of what is going on with the airbags, even though it is one component and consideration the SRS system considers when deploying.

You may have not properly secured this connection, or pinched and damaged the wires.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to reset the airbag light is to fix the problem!

You can have codes pulled at a Dealer to see what the Airbag system is complaining about and then get into the circuit diagrams.

Check your connection again...if you have side curtain airbags then there are components in the bottom of the A-pillars near to where you were working!

Check the fuses...what year is your KJ so I can check what fuses are involved.

The two red fuses are normally in a yellow plastic basket near the top of the internal fuse panel.

Before you start messing around in the Airbag system...disconnect the battery and move the red positive battery lead onto chassis for 15 minutes to discharge any capacitance in the system! An exploding Airbag while you are working in the area can kill!

Latest posts

Members online