how do i install the tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

(excuse my english...not an american..)

after a failed recovery (is it ok to break a tow hook?) i realised-the single factory tow hook on the front is crap. plus it's really dangerous to tow a kj with just the left side...believe me on that one.

so i bought me a used pair of front tow hooks (came from the US with all the parts, nothing missing) and i quickly dove under the kj to install them (2006 v6).

and soon found that i have a problem- the tow hooks have 3 bolts attaching them to the frame. on the side with the single bolt- no problem. went right through the adaptor and into the frame.however - - on the side with the 2 bolts- they attach to a metal part that runs INSIDE the chasis (got the metal part).

I saw that the factiry (broken) tow hook is indeed attached on 3 points- and one is attached to a metal part INSIDE the chasis (you call it "frame").

(got that metal part supplied with the tow hooks)

the question is how can i get it (the metal part that holds the 2 bolts) INTO the frame?

Last edited:

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So part B (The M bolt) isn't long enough to go through the tow hook bracket (C/F)?

no - thats not the problem/ the problem is that the chasis leg is closed - i cant get it in

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the bumper there is a little black cap held on with one 10mm bolt. Once you remove that cap you can slide in the bracket then replace the cap.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - figured it out

I need to take the front bumper off

then take the bumper cups off - the access to the holes is through the bumper cups

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the bumper there is a little black cap held on with one 10mm bolt. Once you remove that cap you can slide in the bracket then replace the cap.

YEP - you posted a few seconds before me.

thanx a lot!

gonna find some time and take the bumper off

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That should allow you to see what's up, but that's weird. Is this the side that had the damaged hook?

Or maybe you're lucky and the previous owner left a gold brick in there. :D